Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shane Acton Quote

Presently reading "Shrimpy" by Shane Acton for about the third time. If anyone doesnt know he circumnavigated the world in 73 /74 in a 19 foot long Plywood Caprice with bilge keels.

.Amazingly the large open cockpit was initially not self draining.He modified it half way round.

For what its worth the sentence that jumped out at me was<font color=blue>"One of the biggest things I have discovered is that the human race is much nicer than I thought it was."</font color=blue>He wrote this aboard "Shrimpy" appropriately enough in the Friendly Isles.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Re: Shane Acton Quote

From the books I've read, I get the impression that the smaller your boat the nicer people are to you?

<hr width=100% size=1>
    The sign on my cabin door says 'Not enough bucks stop here'

also, in inshore waters at least, the smaller the boat, the nicer the people IMHO

<hr width=100% size=1>My father was born in Govan. They had a ferry at the bottom of the garden.
    Ω

Now just a minute! My boats not that small and I'm nice. Honestly. Except when I'm having a rant, that is [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<hr width=100% size=1>

I meant to add "except for people in steel cutters".

Ah, dream, dream.....

Ah, dram, dram.... wonder how the mince is doing?

<hr width=100% size=1>My father was born in Govan. They had a ferry at the bottom of the garden.
    Ω

I have the book on my shelf, and even saw the guy at the London Boat show all those years ago.

I think he was quite an inspiration to many, and showed what could be done on a limited budget, but he was a hell of a character in any event, and he did it off his own back without the sponsors and the hype. I also think what he did rang a chord with most of us who have pottered, and dream of the longer cruises.

In case SWMBO reads this my admiration has nothing to do with the fact this amazing guy seems to have found a young Swiss miss in the middle of nowhere and made enough space in a wooden Caprice to accomodate her!

<hr width=100% size=1>

I have both his books and, while his departure with no prior experience would be frowned on by the authorities today, it goes to show what can be achieved with courage and COJONES! I think it is really sad that after all his exploits he died in poverty and squalor.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tugboat I didnt know that.What were the circumstances of his death?I thought he was lost at sea attempting a second voyage.

Also what are COJONES? dare I ask.

I'm pretty sure he died in a UK hospital (Cambridge?) of lung cancer.
    As mentioned before, a real inspiration.

Many pundits dismissed his first circumnav as 'lucky'. So he did it again. End of argument. :&gt

Cojones are those that are often described as BIG. Ie: "He has big cajones" or "The dogs cajones" or as my wife says "Your talking Cajones".

<hr width=100% size=1>Beer - its not just for Breakfast you know.
    The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name.....

Default Re: Cohones

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dalebroux.com/humor/jokes/000006_Cojones_.asp>This</A> should explain.

Dave

<hr width=100% size=1>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast