Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Sunseeker - Daily Telegraph

Quote Originally Posted by sorabain View Post
    Yes, it is. Survivorship bias.
    LOL, you saved me the time to write exactly the same comment.
    Not that hullabaloo's inference ain't understandable, at first sight.
    Making a proper statistic can be much harder than most folks believe.

Back to the point, not only I fully agree with mikef, but I must have missed the brilliant new ideas behind S/skr recovery.
    Going bigger? Form an orderly queue....

Interesting article. There's a few things that caught my eye...

An examination of how boats were constructed to find efficiencies also helped. “We looked at the order we built things and are now going for a zero-tolerance approach,” says Popham. “Building modules that we can drop into the hull speeds things up.”
    Sounds like they are moving towards the Fairline method. Took their time! And it really annoys me when firms say that they are moving to a zero-tolerance approach. Surely, they should have had this ethos all along (could mean the difference between a bpat sinking or catching fire). And when will we start to see the fruits of this approach as I don't think their smaller boats are regarded as being of the highest quality?

However, the growth strategy means that Sunseeker is looking to its past to define its future, with a return to smaller yachts. “Not smaller and cheaper,” says Popham. “But more performance focused.”
    I wonder where the demand is coming from these smaller and faster boats? And when they mean smaller, are they talking 40/50ft or bigger? we all know that Hunton found it hard to find buyers of such boats.

Pete there is a big demand of small luxurious tender runabout boats at around thirty to forty feet, with little interior accommodation.

So far none of the medium to large production European builders is really capitalizing on this with the exception of
    1) Absolute with the STL40 (launched in 2012 and widely criticized as useless by many)
    and 2) the Azimut-Atlantis Verve.

I think Fairline new F-line is to much sports boat orientated to enter what customers are looking for and also enters the dangerous AquaRiva territory. Which equals no chance to sell unless you make it half price with the same quality.

People want an Ilver Piper type model, way ahead of its time when launched in 2001 and very expensive but today they could have sold a lot of them, cause that is what people in these sizes in the med are looking for.

So if you think you are going to see a boat like a 34 Targa from Sunseeker or Princess, I guess you gotta forget it, since Galeon, Jeanneau, Beneteau, and Cranchi have got it covered for us.

Double post
    Last edited by PowerYachtBlog; 03-01-18 at 18:22. Reason: double post

“2017 production is sold out”.

Date of article - 31st December 2017
    Last edited by Magnum; 03-01-18 at 19:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    “2017 production is sold out”.

Date of article - 31st December 2017
    To be fair Magnum, for many years boat builders have had a back log of boats to sell. So if they've genuinely got no available stock at the time of writing that's a feat in itself.

Of course, what does sold really mean (does it mean that a dealer has bought it or a retail customer)?

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post

Of course, what does sold really mean (does it mean that a dealer has bought it or a retail customer)?
    Pete, unless it is a direct sale, which would be very unusual, all models will be sold to dealers.

Sunseeker apparently have over 100 vacancies for laminators, chippies, etc. according to their recruitment ad on the local radio.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    Pete, unless it is a direct sale, which would be very unusual, all models will be sold to dealers.
    I think minus 70 feet it is possible that the dealers order a craft here and there, but above that you are speaking at 3 million plus of boat which really can break the bank.

But thinking about it Sunseeker (again) owns and operates nearly all Med dealers (France/Italy/Malta) now through its Sunseeker Brokerage subsidiary so its possible some of the big ones are being made in stock as well.
    For example a lot of the new Sunseeker come here in Malta for final delivery touches etc, some of the big ones are actually delivered here, while the small ones are used for local charter operations and sold after a season.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerYachtBlog View Post
    But thinking about it Sunseeker (again) owns and operates nearly all Med dealers (France/Italy/Malta) now through its Sunseeker Brokerage subsidiary so its possible some of the big ones are being made in stock as well.
    LOL, doesn't that remind you of the LYC rise and fall, W...?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast