Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICC

Red face ICC

Not wishing to hijack someone else's thread, I had cause to wonder about the "value" of an ICC. I've never been asked to show any qualifications when visiting France, or come to that, any paperwork at all. I do carry my passport, a copy of my current Insurance certificate, my SSR, and various other stuff. Has anyone found this "Piece of Paper" ant use whatsoever? Is it a Legal requirement anywhere is europe or even recognised further afield?
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Default Re: ICC

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    Not wishing to hijack someone else's thread, I had cause to wonder about the "value" of an ICC. I've never been asked to show any qualifications when visiting France, or come to that, any paperwork at all. I do carry my passport, a copy of my current Insurance certificate, my SSR, and various other stuff. Has anyone found this "Piece of Paper" ant use whatsoever? Is it a Legal requirement anywhere is europe or even recognised further afield?
    We are finding that an ICC is being ask more and more these days , Greece within the last year is asking to see ICC before they will sell you an DEKPA , also in Turkey .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

I didnt even know what it was until I googled. Do you need one for the Isle of wight

The value depends on where and how you sail. Read the background material on the RYA website which explains how it came about, who recognises it and typical situations where it is either essential or useful.

If your sailing is UK based with the odd trip to the near continent it essentially has no value. If you enter most of the European inland waterways system on your own boat it is essential. If you travel further afield it is becoming more common to be required to show a "licence" and if you charter a boat particularly in the Med you will almost certainly need some evidence of competence and the ICC is recognised for this purpose.

Never been asked for in France, Spain or Portugal.
    I had one when I did the French canals in the mid 90's.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Can be handy when chartering abroad, even in waters where an ICC would not normally be needed.

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

I've never been asked to show any qualifications when visiting France.
    ...Is it a Legal requirement anywhere is europe or even recognised further afield?
    France doesn't demand evidence of competence from visitors, so that's to be expected.

So far as I know, an ICC is not specifically a legal requirement anywhere (although an inland waterways endorsed one effectively is for relevant waters). However, it's the nearest thing there is to an internationally recognized qualification, so very useful in countries where evidence of competence is required. As Vic wrote, it's widely accepted in Greece (which, ironically, is not a signatory to the UN convention which created it). It's also specifically accepted in Croatia (along with many other qualifications, including appropriate RYA ones).

This page gives a run-down on the position in much of Europe: http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advi...f-the-icc.aspx

This Wiki page gives some background to the ICC, including the states which have adopted it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern..._of_Competence
    Last edited by macd; 02-01-18 at 12:09.
    Mac

All good stuff. I was aware of the "official" View but even in the USA my RYA qualifications have proven acceptable so far.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Beware, it does require mental (and physical) fitness plus the ability to "Trim sails correctly on each point of sailing".

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Beware, it does require mental (and physical) fitness plus the ability to "Trim sails correctly on each point of sailing".
    I wondered why there always seemed to be so many forumites dead set against it.
    Last edited by lpdsn; 02-01-18 at 12:48.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast