Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICC

Default Re: ICC

One thing that is a bit annoying abt the ICC is that it runs out. I paid for a test about 12 yeas ago so that it extended to inland waterways. Now it's expired. Am I to take another test? Not that I need to - I don't have any plans to 'sail' again from the barrage de la Rance to the mouth of the Vilaine. The present boat wouldn't fit as there are places where 80cm is the deepest.

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    I didnt even know what it was until I googled. Do you need one for the Isle of wight
    Other types of certification are more appropriate.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfleet View Post
    One thing that is a bit annoying abt the ICC is that it runs out. I paid for a test about 12 yeas ago so that it extended to inland waterways. Now it's expired. Am I to take another test? Not that I need to - I don't have any plans to 'sail' again from the barrage de la Rance to the mouth of the Vilaine. The present boat wouldn't fit as there are places where 80cm is the deepest.
    That's the norm for other international certs such as STCW ones. I don't believe you have to re-take the test though as the RYA will give you a new one. I think there's a fee if you're not a member.

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    I don't believe you have to re-take the test though as the RYA will give you a new one. I think there's a fee if you're not a member.
    You don't. If your previous ICC was via the RYA (other bodies can dispense them), they'll have your records on file and will re-issue on the strength of them. I suppose there may be a pre-digital cut-off date for this.
    All epigrams are false

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    I wondered why there always seemed to be so many forumites dead set against it.
    No problems whatsoever with the ICC. Pity about some of the holders, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    All good stuff. I was aware of the "official" View but even in the USA my RYA qualifications have proven acceptable so far.
    One advantage of the ICC is that it is translated into a number of languages - useful where english isnt the natural language of the visited country
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    You don't. If your previous ICC was via the RYA (other bodies can dispense them), they'll have your records on file and will re-issue on the strength of them. I suppose there may be a pre-digital cut-off date for this.
    Thanks for that. I still have the cert so maybe I'll get it re-issued. I don't know what STWC is though. Google gives Sunday Times WIne CLub and Stop the War Coalition. There's a war?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfleet View Post
    Thanks for that. I still have the cert so maybe I'll get it re-issued. I don't know what STWC is though. Google gives Sunday Times WIne CLub and Stop the War Coalition. There's a war?
    Ship training, certification and watch keeping courses
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    We are finding that an ICC is being ask more and more these days , Greece within the last year is asking to see ICC before they will sell you an DEKPA , also in Turkey .
    Never been asked to show mine in recent years when visiting France, Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece. No problem getting DEKPA in 2017 and ICC wasn't requested. However, you only need one person to ask and lack of one becomes a potential problem.

I've carried one for many, many years and only time it was used was in Croatia about 20 years ago. Pretty much just used YM & VHF cert. in those days but one place did want ICC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast