Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICC

Default Re: ICC

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    All good stuff. I was aware of the "official" View but even in the USA my RYA qualifications have proven acceptable so far.
    I showed mine in the USA in the (vain) hope of getting an insurance discount. Silly buggers did like my Boaters Safety Certificate however, obtained online via multiple choice questionnaire of truly dumb questions and fee payment (natch)
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Not wishing to hijack someone else's thread, I had cause to wonder about the "value" of an ICC. I've never been asked to show any qualifications when visiting France, or come to that, any paperwork at all. I do carry my passport, a copy of my current Insurance certificate, my SSR, and various other stuff. Has anyone found this "Piece of Paper" ant use whatsoever? Is it a Legal requirement anywhere is europe or even recognised further afield?
    As an RYA member with a Day Skipper ticket I got one for free, its on the boat if I ever get stopped by the men in black I can produce it - simples.
    Cynical Scots engineer.

I have sailed to France every summer for almost 16 years and kept my boat there for the last four years. Some uniformed marine officials came on board for the first time last summer (it was during a gale so I suppose they were doing the marinas instead of going to sea). All they wanted to see was the Certificate of Registry (British) and insurance cover note, and shelter until a rain squall passed.

I expected a problem with having a British-registered boat there for four years but they weren't concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistroma View Post
    Never been asked to show mine in recent years when visiting France, Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece. No problem getting DEKPA in 2017 and ICC wasn't requested. However, you only need one person to ask and lack of one becomes a potential problem.

I've carried one for many, many years and only time it was used was in Croatia about 20 years ago. Pretty much just used YM & VHF cert. in those days but one place did want ICC.
    I can assure you 100% since last year, when you apply for a new DEPKA one item on the list that's is given to you is for a ICC ,
    it's the first time ever it been listed , it's also the first time I ever been asked for it , in well over twenty five years sailing in almost ever country in the Med .
    there are ways round this as in some PP with let you sign a declaration to state that the country of your flag boat don't require you to have any skipper lic .
    If you read back to other posting you will find I have reported this before .
    The real problem in Greece is no one PP will apply the law as the next .
    But let's keep to th question of ICC , you may be luck last year to not get asked for it, it doesn't mean the next time you go to get your yearsly stamp the same will happen .
    No doubt if Chris Robb get around to reading this thread he too will confirm what I saying is correct.
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 02-01-18 at 16:13.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

>We are finding that an ICC is being ask more and more these days , Greece within the last year is asking to see ICC before they will sell you an DEKPA , also in Turkey .

True, nothing needed in the Caribbean except a form asking your sailing experience, if it's not much you will probably end up with a skipper.

I was asked for the first time last year for our ICC or other from of 'captain's license' before they would issue our DEKPA

Back in Scotland, boat in Greece (Ionian)

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    I can assure you 100% since last year, when you apply for a new DEPKA one item on the list that's is given to you is for a ICC ,
    it's the first time ever it been listed , it's also the first time I ever been asked for it , in well over twenty five years sailing in almost ever country in the Med .
    there are ways round this as in some PP with let you sign a declaration to state that the country of your flag boat don't require you to have any skipper lic .
    If you read back to other posting you will find I have reported this before .
    The real problem in Greece is no one PP will apply the law as the next .
    But let's keep to th question of ICC , you may be luck last year to not get asked for it, it doesn't mean the next time you go to get your yearsly stamp the same will happen .
    No doubt if Chris Robb get around to reading this thread he too will confirm what I saying is correct.
    Yes, I do know that and had the ICC ready to hand over. However, they didn't bother (its Greece, there was a queue, the guy had a dry sense of humour but was quite chatty). I was surprised this time but didn't force it on him (never volunteer anything) .

I'll continue to cart my ICC around and am certain it will eventually prove useful after producing one once or twice in more than 30 years. Bureaucracy only increases with time.

Not wishing to hijack someone else's thread, I had cause to wonder about the "value" of an ICC. I've never been asked to show any qualifications when visiting France, or come to that, any paperwork at all. I do carry my passport, a copy of my current Insurance certificate, my SSR, and various other stuff. Has anyone found this "Piece of Paper" ant use whatsoever? Is it a Legal requirement anywhere is europe or even recognised further afield?
    I've never been asked to show my driving licence by an official in Spain but it's nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by colind3782 View Post
    I've never been asked to show my driving licence by an official in Spain but it's nice to have.
    Mac

In many countries it can be used instead of a day skipper for a chartering requirement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast