Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: New Lifelines (Guard Rails)

I priced up the materials for DIY and it was North of £400. The local rigger quoted €350. Simples.

I also found the Force 4 riggers very helpful - I did use the kit and it was very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    Might be cheaper and easier to get them made by Jimmy Green Marine.
    +1. Jimmy Green made a set for me last year. First class service at very reasonable cost.

A few years ago I cut off plastic coating and was unhappy about state of wire underneath. Considered dyneema or parafil and S/S wire with self-fit terminals, in the end it was cheaper to get local rigger to make up new in uncoated S/S wire. About £220 for 2 wires on each side on 10M boat.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Yes. Very successful. Can only speak for Marlow d12 max which is exceptionally chafe resistant, much nicer one the hands and easier to hang the washing on. I used 5mm. 3800kg max breaking load, sk99.
    Not cheap but you save on staging.
    I switched to 5mm Dyneema several seasons ago. Easy to splice up own lines, so cost less than s/s equivalent. Durability seems fine.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

I used S3i for my new lifelines.
    https://www.s3i.co.uk/marine.php
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

+2 for Jimmy Greens, very quick and reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by daverebbettes View Post
    My thinking is to DIY it with a swageless fork at one end, a swageless eye at the other and then simply take up the slack with some line that can easily be cut free if required.
    Swageless fittings are a bit chunky and don't look too attractive on lifelines. I'd be tempted to measure carefully, and get both ends swaged professionally, but check first that you can pass the swaged stem through the stanchions.

Replaced mine a few years back using a swaged eye on one end of slightly oversized (in length) wire then adjusted the length to suit and used swageless pelican hooks on the other ends. Worked out well.
    Enjoy your sailing,
    Jaguar 25

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    OSR 3.14 covers lifelines and prescribes stranded stainless steel wire. References to Dyneema etc. have been deleted.
    You may not be going ocean racing but the OSR rules are a good place to get safety details.
    And GHA posts.

I think the incident was Comanche and they sawed through the lifelines with a spinnaker sheet.

We have used dyneema, Liros, now for many years and despite Comanche's incident would not change back - but we do not use spinnakers and none of our sheets rubs on the dyneema. Chafe at the stanchions is not evident at all, easy to instal and as GHA suggest, great for the laundry.

Jonathan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast