Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Coal stoves & dampers

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    I've had a rather nice cylindrical coal stove re-furbished - it's cast iron, and slightly larger than a Faversham stove. I'm going to install in my bawley yacht, and went to me local canal-boat chandlers today to get a flue pipe made up. I asked whether they could put a damper in at the base of the flue, & they said it was frowned upon because it's controlling the stove by restricting the flue, whereas controlling by the air inlets of the stove is much safer. This particular stove only has a flap for the ash at it's base, although I can see it is possible to leave this slightly open. Other friends have said a damper in the flue as a way of shutting down the fire is better. Any thoughts?
    If you have not already done so, you may like to read the guidelines for solid fuel stoves in boats covered in the Boat Safety Scheme for inland craft:-
    https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/sta...e-new-chimney/
    And the document that the BSS refers to at:
    http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pdf

Interestingly, there is no mention of the danger of dampers so i guess from all the responses you have had you must still be undecided.......

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

I like the 'it's now known stoves consume vast amounts of Oxygen...".

Sounds like there've been some startling scientific breakthroughs in the last few weeks.

FWIW I have a charcoal fuelled Dickenson stove. It has a damper, supplied as part of the chimney kit by the stove dealer. It’s useful when the draw is too strong. But a CO alarm is essential

Many thanks for all the replies. We have a digital CO detector, & am leaning towards having a damper & seeing if we get any reading (& not then using the damper if we do get a significant reading).

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    Many thanks for all the replies. We have a digital CO detector, & am leaning towards having a damper & seeing if we get any reading (& not then using the damper if we do get a significant reading).
    Either fit the stove manufacturers chimney kit or a very accurate and professionally made copy.

Modification or departure from the manufacturers design could find you in the same position as the owner of mv Arniston!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12