Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Plotter in cockpit - ideas to reduce theft risk?

I want to fit a plotter in the cockpit of my new (to me anyway) boat. Cockpit has two wheels, with centre table, so thinking of a scanstrut type pod which can swivel and tilt between helm positions. However, such an arrangement seems vulnerable to theft, so wondering about making the plotter removable, stowing below when not in use. I seems the scanstrut product is not set up for this? Any suggestions of alternative?

Thanks

Default Re: Plotter in cockpit - ideas to reduce theft risk?

We have a table cover. Plotter is at least out of sight.

If you're based in a reasonably sensible marina, I wouldn't bother. If you're not, even stowing below is no guarantee it'll be safe. Boats are easy to break into, and if your boat were to be attacked, you'd probably want as little damage as possible. Also have to ask where you'd draw the line - with instrument heads costing 400 each, would you want to remove those too?

On our last boat we had a STH CP300 on the coachroof, and TackTick instruments in the cockpit, I used to always remove them when leaving the boat. Too easy to just lift them altho' I never thought it likely, just wanted to be certain.

I used bolts with nyloks to secure through bulkhead. From the cockpit the screws heads turn without freeing the nut. No problem with water ingress.

Maybe a stainless plate cover and padlock ?

I have damaged a fair bit of kit over the years taking it on and off the boat into cars chock full of kit and / or people, now I'm more of the ' leave it fitted and don't knajjer the connections ' school of thought.

Putting stuff below isn't much protection, there was the old story of a boat whose owner left a checklist of kit - the thieves ticked off each item...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please PM me here - www.anderson22class.co.uk

Take out decent insurance cover, that's what it is for.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriel View Post
    I used bolts with nyloks to secure through bulkhead. From the cockpit the screws heads turn without freeing the nut. No problem with water ingress.
    I'm assuming the problem with the Scanstrut tilt-and-swivel pod is that someone could just wrench the whole thing bodily off the boat, and then extract the plotter from it at leisure later:

Agree with Dunedin's suggestion of a canvas cover to make its presence less obvious (my easily-removable VHF remote is hidden under our binnacle cover) and then just rely on marina security (I'm assuming a twin-wheel boat probably isn't on a remote mooring up a scruffy creek), insurance, and accept the fact that sailing boats inherently have 50 notes stapled all over the deck even if you do remove the electronics.

Pete

The instruments in the boat cabin are left there in my boat as my insurance covers everything left in a locked cabin . that said, i do have a plotter outside on the rear deck , that i take out after use and lock up in the boat when i leave. Most plotters are sold with a removable mount, here is a picture of my mount with the plotter removed (top right hand corner of the pic).
    ocqueteau-815 (16).jpg
    Ocqueteau 8.15,200hpNanni.
    Buster Sun R,25 hp outboard

I have wired in two mounting brackets for an SH chartplotter - one in the cockpit and one below on the chart table. Easy to remove the plotter when leaving the boat and also gives the useful option of operating the plotter below when in nasty weather and outside of coastal waters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast