Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ok for some ?

Default Re: ok for some ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    I've been overboard once, as has my wife. In both incidents we were in sheltered waters, doing something routine, when something went wrong unexpectedly; in my case, picking up training marker buoys in the club punt (within Baltimore Harbour), when I overbalanced and went in; in my wifes case, helming on a spinnaker run up the Ilen River, when the halyard jammed, and too many crew rushed forward to help, unbalancing the boat and causing a broach which pitched her overboard.
    In both incidents the L J was instrumental in saving a comedy from becoming a tragedy; when mine inflated I surfaced so quickly that I was able to get an arm and a leg over the gunwale and be pulled back on board; the crew on my wife's boat didn't even know she was gone, and continued to struggle with the Spinnaker Halyard while shouting "Watch your course, Dolores". She was picked up by one of the following boats, luckily in a very quick time, as she had been pulled down by her waterlogged clothing to the point where her chin was awash, because the L Js at that time did not have crotch straps. (Don't get me going on crotch straps and their proper adjustment )

I think maybe you should consider golf instead ... hard hat of course but only a lifejacket near the lake and perhaps bunkers if there's a puddle! ...

"helming on a spinnaker run up the Ilen River, when the halyard jammed, and too many crew rushed forward to help, unbalancing the boat and causing a broach which pitched her overboard" reads like a description of sailing by Flann O'Brien

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    My wife has fallen in at least 4 times in the last decade and me once when transferring from dinghy to boat. At no time have either been wearing lifejackets and have found it funny rather than serious partly because the water was always warm and partly because we were drunk each time. Doesn't make me inclined to wear one in those circumstances in the future but am considering being drunk less often.
    We were messing about in and out of the water with my FiL in Croatia a couple of years ago having all had a "good lunch" on board.

My FiL is in his 70's and his swimming is not as good as it used to be and he got very tired so we suggested that he put on one of our large orange flotation jacket things, the sort that are filled with great blocks of polystrene or something.

He got back in the water with us and the breeze blew him out to sea. We all had to swim out after him to drag his back to the boat before he beached up on the next island.

We don't wear lifejackets after that shocker.

Richard

The decision to wear PPE of whatever sort, in whatever activity should always come from a Risk Assessment of the situation and conditions pertaining at the time.....

As leisure sailors in our own free time, we can make those decisions for ourselves but, when we are responsible for others (e.g. as a leader of a mountain walk, skipper of a boat, climbing instructor) we should always err on the side of caution and industry best practise as we would be the ones standing in the dock defending our actions in the case of an incident which led to serious injury or death.

In this case the sailor is NOT a private individual but a member of a professional crew....in which case I presume the skipper has made the RA and decided conditions did not warrant lifejackets and/or harnesses and tethers....that said, if this guy DID accidentally trip overboard and was lost, I wouldn't want to be the one justifying that decision!

btw....I'm damn sure that statistically, helmets on bikes are proven to reduce the chance of serious head injury......and given that most on the road cycling accidents are caused by motorists I'm amazed they are not compulsory in the UK yet just as seat-belts and motorcycle helmets are...I really don't see the difference.....

Climbing helmets have saved my life twice, and a cycle helmet almost certainly saved the life of a boy in a mountain bike group I was leading once when he pitchpoled twice..the helmet was destroyed, as its designed to be....his head was mostly ok...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave100456 View Post
    Agree completely (NOT)

How is the Volvo video different from the one of you sailing with your harness on but with no tether???

(1min 20 secs)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdaU...ature=youtu.be

Is it a case of "do as I say" rather than "do as I do"?? Or have you both made a judgement on the prevailing conditions and risks????
    I took the video - thats not me ! - I was at the pulpit filming ! Fair shout though - I had a harness on but was not clipped on ( flat clam )

No - I don't wear a lifejacket on my boat. I do in in the dingy.
    I do wear a harness so I can easily clip on if needed - but I don't race offshore !

It just seemed to me to be a typical image which lends itself to others thinking why bother - when racing and pushing a boat hard - who may be well less experienced than those pictured ?
    Interesting how people feel ?

Nemodreams,

I think common sense is called for. I would hate having some bureaucrat (probably a civil servant who knows nothing about sailing) dictating to me that I should wear a LJ at all times as per the Irish model or the bbc. I wear a LJ quite frequently when sailing but not all the time and it is my judgement and choice - I don't think that makes me reckless. LJ's are not always the answer - I have a friend who was laying a mooring in a river wearing a LJ. When he dropped his weight in (an engine block IIRC) he got snagged in it and was dragged overboard and down. When the weight got to the bottom he got his ankle entangled in a rope. His self-inflating LJ failed to inflate and so he could reach down, untangle his foot and float to the surface and get back aboard his boat. It could have been a different outcome had his LJ self-inflated. There are probably more scenarios when LJ 's don't help.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    It's a good advert for sailing, though.

What is the "protective sailing gear" intended to protect him from, please?

Not sorry to disagree with a silly post.

Pete
    Totally agree. Also what is protective sailing gear for the conditions shown ?

Thanks
    Last edited by Dave100456; 03-01-18 at 21:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfleet View Post
    "helming on a spinnaker run up the Ilen River, when the halyard jammed, and too many crew rushed forward to help, unbalancing the boat and causing a broach which pitched her overboard" reads like a description of sailing by Flann O'Brien
    Combination of overenthusiastic Level 3 trainees, and my wife not being long enough in the legs to brace against the opposite seat

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfleet View Post
    Combination of overenthusiastic Level 3 trainees, and my wife not being long enough in the legs to brace against the opposite seat

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast