Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ok for some ?

Default Re: ok for some ?

Is the Automatic High-Volume "Whoa" available from chandlers?

I'm becoming terminally bored with this debate in the UK regarding lifejackets etc.
    In Ireland, in the wake of a sinking involving multiple deaths, a law was enacted, requiring the wearing of lifejackets while on deck on vessels below a specified size.
    Similar to the "Smoking In The Workplace" prohibition, there were initial misgivings, but it almost immediately gained universal acceptance. Now it's "Clunk-Click Every Trip" and one never sees people sailing/boating without lifejackets.
    If you don't want a "dreaded law" to compel you to take the minimum measures to preserve your own lives, I would suggest that you just "buckle down" and do the right thing, voluntarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    I'm becoming terminally bored with this debate in the UK regarding lifejackets etc.
    In Ireland, in the wake of a sinking involving multiple deaths, a law was enacted, requiring the wearing of lifejackets while on deck on vessels below a specified size.
    Similar to the "Smoking In The Workplace" prohibition, there were initial misgivings, but it almost immediately gained universal acceptance. Now it's "Clunk-Click Every Trip" and one never sees people sailing/boating without lifejackets.
    If you don't want a "dreaded law" to compel you to take the minimum measures to preserve your own lives, I would suggest that you just "buckle down" and do the right thing, voluntarily.
    Leisure sailors should be capable of taking their own decisions regarding risk. Being forced to wear a lifejacket when drifting gently with the tide in a virtual calm is ridiculous. And where does the bureaucratic madness end? Compulsory harnesses at all times next? Compulsory electronic MOB tags next? Sailing banned when there's a F3 forecast?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    “and one never sees people sailing/boating without lifejackets.”
    How very sad.
    Fools know they are right.

The bbc seem to use a simiar rule nowadays. You often see tv presenters and the like wearing life jackets on canal boats or on fishing vessels with four foot gunwhales in calm weather. They'll be wearing them on cross channel ferries next.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfleet View Post
    The bbc seem to use a simiar rule nowadays. You often see tv presenters and the like wearing life jackets on canal boats or on fishing vessels with four foot gunwhales in calm weather. They'll be wearing them on cross channel ferries next.
    Even more bizarre is wearing them when walking in 6" of water along a stream bed (and wearing a hard hat at the same time).

Or leisure sailors on Tobermory high st, I suppose they could get washed away?

If you took this last summer it was probably appropriate for the conditions.

I was on bethfran, so 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Nooka View Post
    How very sad.
    No, not so. Like I said it becomes automatic to put on the L J, just as one would automatically belt up when in a car. I would feel odd not wearing it now, but the thing is, that the major portion of the sailing I did for many years was in the context of either taking or teaching courses in a sailing school.
    I've been overboard once, as has my wife. In both incidents we were in sheltered waters, doing something routine, when something went wrong unexpectedly; in my case, picking up training marker buoys in the club punt (within Baltimore Harbour), when I overbalanced and went in; in my wifes case, helming on a spinnaker run up the Ilen River, when the halyard jammed, and too many crew rushed forward to help, unbalancing the boat and causing a broach which pitched her overboard.
    In both incidents the L J was instrumental in saving a comedy from becoming a tragedy; when mine inflated I surfaced so quickly that I was able to get an arm and a leg over the gunwale and be pulled back on board; the crew on my wife's boat didn't even know she was gone, and continued to struggle with the Spinnaker Halyard while shouting "Watch your course, Dolores". She was picked up by one of the following boats, luckily in a very quick time, as she had been pulled down by her waterlogged clothing to the point where her chin was awash, because the L Js at that time did not have crotch straps. (Don't get me going on crotch straps and their proper adjustment )
    Last edited by Spirit (of Glenans); 03-01-18 at 14:05.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast