Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 102

Thread: ok for some ?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Orwell
    Posts
    4,480

    Default Re: ok for some ?

    I bet you wear a bicycle helmet too.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Keswick, Cumbria
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: ok for some ?

    Actually, I wear a bike helmet, but not a lj (except when scared). The bike helmet when road biking is to save me from drivers, not my own mistakes.
    When mountain biking, it is to save me from myself when I get it wrong.

    In both biking cases, I estimate the odds are significantly far more likely, than going overboard, though of course I acknowledge that going overboard is always possible, even in good weather.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,178

    Default Re: ok for some ?

    I suggest the OP puts on his foulies and lifejacket, heads down to the local gym, gets them to turn off the aircon, and does a few hours tethered to the arm bike and then reports back here how he got on.

    @Gunfleet, I wear a helmet on a bike. In fact, it's saved my bacon when I hit a tree downhill mountain biking at 25mph and got carted off in a helicopter. However I don't wear one when I'm chugging along on my Dahon folder in shorts and flip flops on my way back to the boat from the pub with the missus. That's because I'm a sensible human being with common sense able to make on the fly risk assessments and decisions. Perhaps you need to change your post #21 to "I bet you always wear a bicycle helmet too" to be more in line with this thread!
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Clyde
    Posts
    6,881

    Default Re: ok for some ?

    Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Leisure sailors should be capable of taking their own decisions regarding risk. Being forced to wear a lifejacket when drifting gently with the tide in a virtual calm is ridiculous. And where does the bureaucratic madness end? Compulsory harnesses at all times next? Compulsory electronic MOB tags next? Sailing banned when there's a F3 forecast?
    +1

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: ok for some ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    No, not so. Like I said it becomes automatic to put on the L J, just as one would automatically belt up when in a car. I would feel odd not wearing it now, but the thing is, that the major portion of the sailing I did for many years was in the context of either taking or teaching courses in a sailing school.
    I've been overboard once, as has my wife. In both incidents we were in sheltered waters, doing something routine, when something went wrong unexpectedly; in my case, picking up training marker buoys in the club punt (within Baltimore Harbour), when I overbalanced and went in; in my wifes case, helming on a spinnaker run up the Ilen River, when the halyard jammed, and too many crew rushed forward to help, unbalancing the boat and causing a broach which pitched her overboard.
    In both incidents the L J was instrumental in saving a comedy from becoming a tragedy; when mine inflated I surfaced so quickly that I was able to get an arm and a leg over the gunwale and be pulled back on board; the crew on my wife's boat didn't even know she was gone, and continued to struggle with the Spinnaker Halyard while shouting "Watch your course, Dolores". She was picked up by one of the following boats, luckily in a very quick time, as she had been pulled down by her waterlogged clothing to the point where her chin was awash, because the L Js at that time did not have crotch straps. (Don't get me going on crotch straps and their proper adjustment )
    i wonder how far they got up the river before realising.... sounds like some competent crew there
    Last edited by Cactus Sailing; 03-01-18 at 15:45.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Clyde
    Posts
    6,881

    Default Re: ok for some ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    I've been overboard once, as has my wife. In both incidents we were in sheltered waters, doing something routine, )
    Statistically speaking it's highly unlikely anyone will fall in. If you and your wife have both been in and as you say in sheltered waters doing something routine statistically speaking that's almost impossible. Maybe you are doing something wrong.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Orwell
    Posts
    4,480

    Default Re: ok for some ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iain C View Post
    I suggest the OP puts on his foulies and lifejacket, heads down to the local gym, gets them to turn off the aircon, and does a few hours tethered to the arm bike and then reports back here how he got on.

    @Gunfleet, I wear a helmet on a bike. In fact, it's saved my bacon when I hit a tree downhill mountain biking at 25mph and got carted off in a helicopter. However I don't wear one when I'm chugging along on my Dahon folder in shorts and flip flops on my way back to the boat from the pub with the missus. That's because I'm a sensible human being with common sense able to make on the fly risk assessments and decisions. Perhaps you need to change your post #21 to "I bet you always wear a bicycle helmet too" to be more in line with this thread!
    Our position is the same. I wear a lifejacket in the dinghy but on the boat it is rare. If conditions dictate I tend to clip on rather than wear a life jacket - I sail alone a lot and don't think a life jacket is much use to the lone sailor once your a little bit offshore. On my bike I own a helmet but don't have much faith in its efficacy. I don't think they protect your from motorists. So sometimes I wear it and sometimes I don't. I'm a very defensive rider. I don't mtb but if I did I'd wear one, because I imagine that's the sort of fall they are good for.

    ps some people will do anything for a helicopter ride. I hope it did not lasting harm, seriously

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    6,384

    Default Re: ok for some ?

    If I had to wear a lifejacket in calm daylight conditions I'd probably give up sailing. Relaxing and living on the boat would feel very different and would affect my tan lines in a very unsightly way.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire England
    Posts
    752

    Default Re: ok for some ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    No, not so. Like I said it becomes automatic to put on the L J, just as one would automatically belt up when in a car. I would feel odd not wearing it now, but the thing is, that the major portion of the sailing I did for many years was in the context of either taking or teaching courses in a sailing school.
    I've been overboard once, as has my wife. In both incidents we were in sheltered waters, doing something routine, when something went wrong unexpectedly; in my case, picking up training marker buoys in the club punt (within Baltimore Harbour), when I overbalanced and went in; in my wifes case, helming on a spinnaker run up the Ilen River, when the halyard jammed, and too many crew rushed forward to help, unbalancing the boat and causing a broach which pitched her overboard.
    In both incidents the L J was instrumental in saving a comedy from becoming a tragedy; when mine inflated I surfaced so quickly that I was able to get an arm and a leg over the gunwale and be pulled back on board; the crew on my wife's boat didn't even know she was gone, and continued to struggle with the Spinnaker Halyard while shouting "Watch your course, Dolores". She was picked up by one of the following boats, luckily in a very quick time, as she had been pulled down by her waterlogged clothing to the point where her chin was awash, because the L Js at that time did not have crotch straps. (Don't get me going on crotch straps and their proper adjustment )
    Thank you for sharing your personal reasons for being a strong advocate for compulsory wearing of L Js.

    Given you and your wife's individual falls overboard whilst "...in sheltered waters, doing something routine.."

    May I be so bold as to suggest you both also consider wearing helmets to reduce the risk of blunt trauma head injury.

    Whilst such PPE is usually donned by users of 'sport craft' (and I don't know the type of boat you sail) with a cruiser it may still be prudent, given the frequency of overboard incidents you have personally experienced.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,178

    Default Re: ok for some ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfleet View Post
    Our position is the same. I wear a lifejacket in the dinghy but on the boat it is rare. If conditions dictate I tend to clip on rather than wear a life jacket - I sail alone a lot and don't think a life jacket is much use to the lone sailor once your a little bit offshore. On my bike I own a helmet but don't have much faith in its efficacy. I don't think they protect your from motorists. So sometimes I wear it and sometimes I don't. I'm a very defensive rider. I don't mtb but if I did I'd wear one, because I imagine that's the sort of fall they are good for.

    ps some people will do anything for a helicopter ride. I hope it did not lasting harm, seriously
    Haha only lasting harm is a good scar from metalwork going in and coming out!
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to