Default Tape half way up the topsides

Two really basic questions:

I need to replace the line of tape just below our rubbing strake on the hull - whats it called and how do I best get it straight?
    A few inches of the rubbing strake itself are lifting away from the hull and a streak of rust is appearing inside a locker corresponding to the lifting section of teak strake. The throug-bolt appears to be glassed in...so grind it out and replace? Why was the thing glassed in in the first place/do I need to glass in the new bolt?

As I said, really basic questions and could just wing it but prefer to do a job just once.
    Dum-Dum you bring me Gum Gum

Default Re: Tape half way up the topsides

It's called "coveline tape". Applying it neatly requires some concentration!

I believe your rubbing strake is bolted on by the bolts which secure the hull/deck join, and glassing it over inside was done to ensure watertightness.
    Last edited by pvb; 03-01-18 at 11:31.

Coveline came to me as soon as I finished typing - post-Christmas fugue I think.

A failed bolt on the hull/deck join makes this a little more serious....grinding back and careful examination, here we come.
    Dum-Dum you bring me Gum Gum

Thanks for that. I didn't know what it was called.........I do now.
    People are people, regardless of race, colour or creed.

One of my boats had a beautiful gold coveline when new. After 14 years I just let it fade. A good coveline enhances a boat but anything less than perfect looks awful.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Regarding renewing a. plastic coveline, I did that last Spring. Removing the old one was a nightmare ....I tried warming with a hair dryer but the plastic softened simultaneously with the adhesive bond so it came off only in about one inch lengths. Eventually I resorted to an old wood chisel which was brutal but amazingly didn't damage the gel coat. You then clean thoroughly with acetone, apply masking tape just below the planned lower edge of the coveline, spray the area with very dilute washing up liquid in soft water, apply the coveline a few feet at a time floating it down to rest on the tape and work your way along the hull. Finally mop gently with a sponge. It's obviously critical to get the tape correctly positioned first. You really need two pairs of hands to handle the coveline and also eye along the hull. I only did one side but hope to do the other next Spring. I got about a metre of the coveline about 1 mm. too high but maybe I'm the only person who's noticed that. I understand that chaps who apply transfers to vans etc are good at this sort of thing.

The way we do the boottop lines on my MAB is to attach at the stern then walk out at about 45 degrees until past the centre point. Look down the tape and walk to just past amidship. Then move close to the boat and let the whole line float onto the hull. Now without breaking the tape, walk forward to the bow and do the same.

If you get it right, its easy and quick. Takes a little practice, which of course I get masking off the boot top every year.