Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    6,419

    Default Re: Disposing of waste in paradise

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    What a thoroughly unpleasant post.
    I hope you are proud of it.
    I agreed with pretty much all of it, particularly his response to the unpleasant pious remark.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,539

    Default Re: Disposing of waste in paradise

    It is good that sailors behave in a responsible fashion and I figure most of them do.
    It is a pity the countries that charge them fees to clear in and out of those countries do not provide the facility to responsibly dispose of rubbish in return for the fees.
    It would be much better to publicise (name and shame) those countries not providing such facilities.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    4,449

    Default Re: Disposing of waste in paradise

    Quote Originally Posted by Prasutigus View Post
    I take a pragmatic approach, (see previous post) but the one thing which makes me want to drain my sump oil into the oggin and pick up my dolphin harpoon is holier-than-thou, tsk-tsking greens.
    Given your attitude towards the effort required to dispose of waste in paradise might I suggest the inferno might suit you better?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kernow
    Posts
    4,358

    Default Re: Disposing of waste in paradise


  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    557

    Default Re: Disposing of waste in paradise

    Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Given your attitude towards the effort required to dispose of waste in paradise might I suggest the inferno might suit you better?
    "Your attitude is wrong, you are lazy, therefore you should burn in everlasting hellfire"..

    Behold the new religion!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    979

    Default Re: Disposing of waste in paradise

    Quote Originally Posted by Prasutigus View Post
    Yes it's a great idea, plenty of homes for little critters, and it will either corrode away before the heat death of the solar system, or it won't, who cares?

    Why does it matter if I sail ' anywhere near' you? Will it threaten the pink fluffy baby dolphins with their ickle smiling faces?
    I thought this thread was about dumping gash overboard in paradise?

    (Or are you signalling your green virtue by feigning disgust at those of different, (but equally valid) viewpoints, in order to protect your sanctimonious ethical purity from contact contamination by mariners of dubious faith in the holy religion of the 'environment'? )

    I take a pragmatic approach, (see previous post) but the one thing which makes me want to drain my sump oil into the oggin and pick up my dolphin harpoon is holier-than-thou, tsk-tsking greens.

    Happy New Year.
    Very clever, really thoughtful post. I'm not especially a green, nor do I pretend to be holier than anyone - but I simply don't understand why you dump stuff anywhere rather than taking it away. It's a valid question, and the notion of taking it away is at least as valid as your own point of view.
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,569

    Default Re: Disposing of waste in paradise

    A lot of people have suggested that one should take stuff back "home" to be dealt with there. But how much that we put in for recycling does actually get recycled? How much is then incinerated or landfilled by our recycling agents? I think this approach is in danger of simply passing the parcel on out of our sight.

    Maybe now that the Chinese have decided to stop taking on our difficult recycling we will see some more honest appraisal.
    Peter

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    14,327

    Default Re: Disposing of waste in paradise

    Quote Originally Posted by Prasutigus View Post
    Yes it's a great idea, plenty of homes for little critters, and it will either corrode away before the heat death of the solar system, or it won't, who cares?

    Why does it matter if I sail ' anywhere near' you? Will it threaten the pink fluffy baby dolphins with their ickle smiling faces?
    I thought this thread was about dumping gash overboard in paradise?

    (Or are you signalling your green virtue by feigning disgust at those of different, (but equally valid) viewpoints, in order to protect your sanctimonious ethical purity from contact contamination by mariners of dubious faith in the holy religion of the 'environment'? )

    I take a pragmatic approach, (see previous post) but the one thing which makes me want to drain my sump oil into the oggin and pick up my dolphin harpoon is holier-than-thou, tsk-tsking greens.

    Happy New Year.
    Love it!
    Stu

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    13,200

    Default Re: Disposing of waste in paradise

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    A lot of people have suggested that one should take stuff back "home" to be dealt with there. But how much that we put in for recycling does actually get recycled? How much is then incinerated or landfilled by our recycling agents? I think this approach is in danger of simply passing the parcel on out of our sight.

    Maybe now that the Chinese have decided to stop taking on our difficult recycling we will see some more honest appraisal.
    Peter
    Your conflating two issues recycling and dumping gash at sea. Eventually a destination will be reached that has a waste disposal system. That is likely to be a bin, dumpster and rubbish tip but that is still better than littering the seabed and burning small amounts on beaches. At least the waste is more or less concentrated in one area. I get your point though, I was in Aruba last year and their rubbish dump is just a huge pile being slowly pushed into and filling a lagoon. In Singapore they use their rubbish to reclaim land that is eventually built on. In my opinion both are better options that dumping gash at sea.

    The idea of littering the the sea has now been addressed by MRPOL and all overboard discharge of plastics, metals, glass is prohibited. There is a lot of work going on to make sure that ports have facilities for garbage collection. Note that food wastes are allowed to be discharged. I understand that MARPOL applies to commercial operations. A brief summary can be found here: -

    http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Enviro...%2007-2013.pdf

    The size of the problem https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...W3S_BBfuWiJvCR

    Those who want to dump tin cans and glass bottles overboard are out of touch with the current state of affairs regarding garbage at sea and should reconsider.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    6,419

    Default Re: Disposing of waste in paradise

    Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Your conflating two issues recycling and dumping gash at sea. Eventually a destination will be reached that has a waste disposal system. That is likely to be a bin, dumpster and rubbish tip but that is still better than littering the seabed and burning small amounts on beaches. At least the waste is more or less concentrated in one area. I get your point though, I was in Aruba last year and their rubbish dump is just a huge pile being slowly pushed into and filling a lagoon. In Singapore they use their rubbish to reclaim land that is eventually built on. In my opinion both are better options that dumping gash at sea.

    The idea of littering the the sea has now been addressed by MRPOL and all overboard discharge of plastics, metals, glass is prohibited. There is a lot of work going on to make sure that ports have facilities for garbage collection. Note that food wastes are allowed to be discharged. I understand that MARPOL applies to commercial operations. A brief summary can be found here: -

    http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Enviro...%2007-2013.pdf

    The size of the problem https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...W3S_BBfuWiJvCR

    Those who want to dump tin cans and glass bottles overboard are out of touch with the current state of affairs regarding garbage at sea and should reconsider.
    Anyone reading those links ( which are clear and rather good ) would correctly conclude that plastics are an overwhelming problem and must not go overboard but unless you are leaving them on a beach where they will be unsightly there is no recorded problem or issue with glass or tin going overboard.

    Carry on as normal then.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to