Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Oil filter wrench recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    As an alternative have a look at the cup type wrench

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/products...-Filter-Wrench
    These make everything else look silly, if you've got the right one for the filter.
    My old bike, I had two different ones, because different brands of filter had different numbers of flats.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    These make everything else look silly, if you've got the right one for the filter.
    My old bike, I had two different ones, because different brands of filter had different numbers of flats.
    Yes you do need one for the type of filter you have but they do work well, normally with an extension and coupling you can loosen the filter enough to spin off my hand.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus View Post
    I use one of these. It's excellent. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003AMVZWC/ref=dp_cerb_1
    This is also what I use
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

I had an awkward to get at and to get a grip on oil filter and ended up buying a longer filter.now so much easier.
    The removing tool with 3 jaws if you put some rubber tubing on each of the jaws it grips a lot better.
    Leisure Owners Association

The Oil Filter on Catre is impossible to get at, it's underneath the MD22 at an angle fore and aft and at 45 degrees sideways, I have tried different many Oil Filter wrenches - all without success.
    1) Belt / Strap
    2) Chain
    3) Oil Filter Pliers

You can barely get your hand on the Filter and if you can get a wrench on then you can't get any leverage or motion. Even after removing the Alternator Belt and swinging that away there is barely enough room to get your arm through and grasp the filter

For the 1st service after purchase I got the local independent Marine "Mechanic" to service and winterise the engine and was horrified to see him use a long Screwdriver and Hammer - after 4 years I've come to the conclusion that a 2ft "Hammer through" screwdriver or cold chisel is the easiest and cleanest way to remove it. The trick is to make a indentation in the rim of the Filter at 90 degrees and then use that to "tap" the filter anticlockwise.

No puncturing of the filter is involved - I definitely don't do the screwdriver through one side and out of the other method. And the filter is dropped into a plastic bag in the bilges to save any spillage

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    +1 for that.

I had one of the constrictor type strap wrenches: -
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOA-13-2612...s=strap+wrench
    ...and it was rubbish. The metal band wrench is far better.
    I've got one of those, complete waste of money.
    Thanks for the suggestion - choices, choices!
    Adventure before dementia

Suprised no-one's mentioned a pair of Marigold washing up gloves. It's amazing the amount of grip you get with them. My filter is fairly inaccessible and I get mine off one handed. Dead cheap and even cheaper if you can slip them into your pocket when in the kitchen!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by KevinT1 View Post
    For the 1st service after purchase I got the local independent Marine "Mechanic" to service and winterise the engine and was horrified to see him use a long Screwdriver and Hammer - after 4 years I've come to the conclusion that a 2ft "Hammer through" screwdriver or cold chisel is the easiest and cleanest way to remove it. The trick is to make a indentation in the rim of the Filter at 90 degrees and then use that to "tap" the filter anticlockwise.
    I hope the bill said "For hitting with hammer - 50p; For knowing how and where to hit it - £55".

There's really no need to screw filters on so tightly! A smear of oil on the sealing ring, spin on, then another half turn should be fine. And it'll undo easily by hand when it needs replacing.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast