Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Oil filter wrench recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Vegable View Post
    Suprised no-one's mentioned a pair of Marigold washing up gloves. It's amazing the amount of grip you get with them. My filter is fairly inaccessible and I get mine off one handed. Dead cheap and even cheaper if you can slip them into your pocket when in the kitchen!
    Mike
    Tried that trick, including wrapping the other glove round the filter for extra grip. I’ve never had much upper body or arm strength
    Adventure before dementia

Avocet doesn't have an oil filter, but for the car, I have a big "Jubilee" clip with a bolt welded to it, such tha tthe bolt sticks out at 90 degrees to the surface of the clip band. Use a 7mm socket on a 1/4 drive wobble bar and ratchet to tighten the clip, then push or pull on the end of the bolt until the filter is loose enough to undo by hand.

If I can't be bothered to find the strap wrench or the chain wrench I usually just stick the Stillsons on it.

You need reasonable sideways access though.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    There's really no need to screw filters on so tightly! A smear of oil on the sealing ring, spin on, then another half turn should be fine. And it'll undo easily by hand when it needs replacing.
    That's certainly the norm, and may be universal for spin-on filters on small boat engines, and widely elsewhere. But in some applications considerably more force is needed, in which case there should be a torque spec. (I've seen over20Nm specified, which is way beyond hand-tight.) A cup wrench is then the only option.
    Mac

Back in Scotland, boat in Greece (Ionian)

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    That's certainly the norm, and may be universal for spin-on filters on small boat engines, and widely elsewhere. But in some applications considerably more force is needed, in which case there should be a torque spec. (I've seen over20Nm specified, which is way beyond hand-tight.) A cup wrench is then the only option.
    Yes, Yanmar 4JH4AE oil filter fitting instructions state that final tightening should be to 20 - 24 N·m (177-212 lb-in).

First step is normal:
    "Coat the new lubricating oil filter seal with lubricating oil and install the lubricating oil filter manually turning it clockwise until the seal touches the mounting surface, and tighten it further to 3/4 of a turn using a filter wrench."

I must admit that I just tighten to 7/8 - 1 full turn and that is more than sufficient to avoid any leaks. I don't check with my torque wrench as that would be tricky (and require the style of filter wrench with a fitting for the torque wrench). I've never seen oil filter torque as something needing a high degree of accuracy.

In 40+ years i have never tightened an oil filter with a filter wrench. I've never had one come undone yet.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Back in Scotland, boat in Greece (Ionian)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    In 40+ years i have never tightened an oil filter with a filter wrench. I've never had one come undone yet.
    Ditto for about 50 years. I usually follow manufacturers instructions closely for most things but Yanmar's 20-24Nm seems OTT. 7/8-1 turn is about as tight as I can get. That usually requires rubber gloves or degreasing filter and hands to get some grip.

It used to be about 50:50 getting it back off again without a wrench. I'm getting older, filters are getting harder to reach with both hands and now always need a wrench.

I used a Snap-on strap wrench at last service for filter removal - which was excellent . However not my wrench unfortunately.
    The Draper / Toolstation strap wrench looks like a fair bet at a poor mans alternative

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    I had one of the constrictor type strap wrenches: -
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOA-13-2612...s=strap+wrench
    ...and it was rubbish. The metal band wrench is far better.
    I have quite the opposite experience with this type of removal tool. Mine looks the same but came from Pound Land. Very easy to use with 100% success. The trick, as others have said, is to lubricate the seal and only hand tighten the new one.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast