Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default An elusive search for sunshine

After 5 weeks of rain in August we are sorely tempted to move the boat to Northern Spain (Galicia)

So two questions

1) is this a really stupid idea? (Have you done it and regretted it?)
    2) how much would it cost to get a delivery crew to take it across Biscay for me (possibly with me). Boat is based in the Solent (37ft AWB)

All helpful advice and comments welcome.

Default Re: An elusive search for sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    After 5 weeks of rain in August we are sorely tempted to move the boat to Northern Spain (Galicia)

So two questions

1) is this a really stupid idea? (Have you done it and regretted it?)
    2) how much would it cost to get a delivery crew to take it across Biscay for me (possibly with me). Boat is based in the Solent (37ft AWB)

All helpful advice and comments welcome.
    Go the whole hog and move her to the Algarve. Virtually guaranteed sunshine, flights to Faro cheap and plentiful.
    Northern Spain can be wetter than UK.
    If you think it's tough at the top---try being at the bottom!

I can only answer in very general terms as I don't know Galicia but we really enjoyed crossing Biscay as a couple and working up our experience ( not so much fun coming back as we were on a deadline).

But keeping a boat abroad over the last 7 years has been a complete pain when it comes to getting work done over the Winter but good in every other way. We always base the boat nearish (100 euro taxi ride or preferably much less) to a cheap flight airport and move it every year unless we really like somewhere. Warm sailing for a minimum of a week at a time feels much better than every other weekend and much more exploring is possible. We tend to sail for anywhere between 4 and 8 weeks a year depending on our work commitments and also go out for some long weekends to do DIY.

Overall the best decision we've made and after 7 years I've finally sold our second boat - a U.K. based 24 footer - as I sailed it less and less.

We are in Spain, just north of Valencia. Cheap flights cheap car hire. great weather. Only issue is to hot in August (much over 30 degrees is hot for us) We may move to the canaries
    or just further south in Spain. Highly recommended !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludd View Post
    Go the whole hog and move her to the Algarve. Virtually guaranteed sunshine, flights to Faro cheap and plentiful.
    Northern Spain can be wetter than UK.
    +1

Biscay no problem. Set off in spring, work your way down to La Rochelle then south to Gijon (only 40 hrs @ 6kts) then along the north coast to the Rias, then south down the Portuguese coast, you will arrive in Autumn, having seen some brilliant places.

Northern spain does have some interesting sailing: Fog, big swells and surfing in and out of harbour can be fun.

Suggest you take your boat there on a recee (and then carry on to somewhere else!)

O
    So in summary not a bad idea but head further south. Can anyone give me an indication of annual marina berthing in their suggested areas?

O
    So in summary not a bad idea but head further south. Can anyone give me an indication of annual marina berthing in their suggested areas?
    Burriana Nova near Valencia 33' E2400 all inc, secure and good facillities

O
    It seems to vary hugely in Spain, for a 10m marina berth it can be anywhere between €3K and €10K.

We're in Empuriabrava and the temperatures are similar to the UK Midland but hotter in July and August and generally not as cold in the winter. The main marina will set you back around €6K but we have a private berth for significantly less!

O
    http://www.marinadeportimao.com.pt/e...os-marina.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast