Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: An elusive search for sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by colind3782 View Post
    It seems to vary hugely in Spain, for a 10m marina berth it can be anywhere between €3K and €10K.

We're in Empuriabrava and the temperatures are similar to the UK Midland but hotter in July and August and generally not as cold in the winter. The main marina will set you back around €6K but we have a private berth for significantly less!
    How does one get hold of a private berth for significantly less??

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    I'm just the other side of the Alberes (mountains) from Empuriabrava but visit there sometimes.
    I bought the lease on my berth which equates to €850 a year for a 42 foot boat + taxe d'usage at €1900 pa ... very cheap way of doing it because if you just pay a much greater annual fee you still have to pay the 'hole in the water' tax! ...

Homer J,

To answer your query re - delivery costs. 2 years ago the charges by PYD were of the order 1 per mile for the skipper plus food/drink and travel costs. It should help you work out a ball park figure. I have no connection other than a satisfied customer, but, they were very helpful, a delight to deal with and the skipper was excellent. For me they put an extra hand on free apart from expenses "so he could gain some experience". It was worth it to get to where I was going quickly. I was so impressed with my initial contact, I didn't bother "shopping around". Hope this assists.

Andy

Very helpful thanks

Could you give me a bit more info on the tax? Do I have to add this to any berthing fee quoted in a marina?

We found the sailing in Galicia WAY better than further down. Plenty of enjoyable sailing in Portugal but Rias were far better. In fact, we turned back before Lisbon and sailed back to Rias for another full season before heading past cape St. Vincent.

Two bad points have been mentioned:
    1) Tends to be wet in winter (I seem to remember someone saying it was 3 x wetter than Manchester over winter).
    2) Not as easy to fly out to many places as easily and cheaply as locations further South.

I say that you should certainly try the Rias if you are planning to spend a lot of the summer on your boat. Not so clear cut if you intend to fly out for a couple of weeks plus odd long weekends.

They rarely come up so you have to be lucky and in the right place at the right time. However, some homes with a mooring attached never see a boat so the owners are sometimes up for renting the space.

After 5 weeks of rain in August we are sorely tempted to move the boat to Northern Spain (Galicia)

So two questions

1) is this a really stupid idea? (Have you done it and regretted it?)
    2) how much would it cost to get a delivery crew to take it across Biscay for me (possibly with me). Boat is based in the Solent (37ft AWB)

All helpful advice and comments welcome.
    I have no idea what your boat is, but you might want to think laterally in terms of selling here and buying again in Spain or wherever you decide. It will be expensive to get down to the Med either in transport or crew or your own time, so think in terms of maybe 8-10k. Then what are you going to do when you give up/want the boat back in the UK. That's why there are so many older 2nd hand boats for sale in the Med at lower prices than the UK. I'm sure you can research prices in Spain/or elsewhere and you will find they are similiar to the S Coast of the UK, but considerably more in places like Mallorca, Ibiza etc.
    Andrew

That's not a bad plan. I suppose it needs weighing up against the hassle of selling a loved, sorted boat and spinning the wheel on another 'unknown'. Then broker fees, surveys etc bring the differences a bit lower.

Anyone had experience of selling in U.K. And buying abroad as suggested?

That's not a bad plan. I suppose it needs weighing up against the hassle of selling a loved, sorted boat and spinning the wheel on another 'unknown'. Then broker fees, surveys etc bring the differences a bit lower.

Anyone had experience of selling in U.K. And buying abroad as suggested?
    I've done that albeit in the wrong order. The UK boat wasn't suitable for the sort of Med sailing we wanted but getting work done abroad has been so hit and miss that if I had a sorted boat in the U.K. I'd go to any lengths to get it down to the med before starting again.

Sorted meaning fully functional with heavy blade genoa for the strong winds and lightweight ghoster for the near calms as there is little in between, good windlass and anchor stuff for squalls in 25m bays, a decent 12v and separate engine driven compressor for below zero big fridge, Bimini and deck sunshade, fans, solar panels and inverter etc, big water tanks and holding tanks and so on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast