Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ostend at Anchor festival May 11-13th

Has anyone been? Or is anyone going? Is it good for yachts or is it more working boat thing? Any experience or recommendation welcome, I’m sort of thinking about going.

http://www.oostendevooranker.be/en/pro/boat-form-en

Default Re: Ostend at Anchor festival May 11-13th

Where is Sailorman when you need him

It's a fantastic event.

All types of vessel are included from,Tall Ships to Dutch barges, steam ships to smacks, yachts to day boats. I think I'm correct in saying that the main qualification for a vessel is she be of a design more than 40 years old.

I've been several times with Cirrus and am registered for this year's event. If you're thinking of going I'd suggest you get your form in soon as registrations may well close by the end of this month. The organisation of the event is superb, the hospitality even better. There's no-stop entertainment during the day, street markets, displays, bars etc around the exhibition area.

Vessels tend to be grouped by type and size. You could find yourself with Belgian, French, British or German neighbours in the marina.

If you like old boats, you'll love OvA.

As far as I understood it, last year anyway, it wasn’t necessary to register unless you have a ‘classic’ vessel that is. We just rocked up in our 32’ plastic Sadler and stayed in the RNSYC marina. Once there we did sign up and they gave us a small goody bag.
    Well worthwhile, a brilliant weekend and lots of other East Coast boats and forumites there.
    Tax stupidity, not intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    As far as I understood it, last year anyway, it wasn’t necessary to register unless you have a ‘classic’ vessel that is. We just rocked up in our 32’ plastic Sadler and stayed in the RNSYC marina. Once there we did sign up and they gave us a small goody bag.
    Well worthwhile, a brilliant weekend and lots of other East Coast boats and forumites there.
    True enough but you need to be registered in order to berth in the main exhibition areas.

Quote Originally Posted by philiphurst View Post
    True enough but you need to be registered in order to berth in the main exhibition areas.

Quite so.
    Tax stupidity, not intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    Has anyone been? Or is anyone going? Is it good for yachts or is it more working boat thing? Any experience or recommendation welcome, I’m sort of thinking about going.

http://www.oostendevooranker.be/en/pro/boat-form-en
    Yes it is worth going to. Suggest you register so you get to go in the Mercator dock where everyone is. Free mooring for a week as they let you artive a few days early and leave a few days after. Note that you can only lock out in daylight so if you want to leave in darkness in order to use the tides to get home you need to move out of the basin the day before and berth in one of the two marinas.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

I think your boat needs to be 40 years old or more for the free deal.

Anyway last year was good fun, though apart from meeting fellow forumites there isn't enough to make me want to do it again for a another couple of years.
    My crew had his wallet pickpocketed and we had some strangely poor service in a couple of venues.
    I'd want some guarantees about red diesel before I left as the rules or at least the official observance of the rules seems to change depending on wind direction.

However it did ensure I was fully up and ready for the season, being in early May.
    The parades and music were great fun.
    So overall its well worth the effort especially if you've never been before.

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    I think your boat needs to be 40 years old or more for the free deal.

I'd want some guarantees about red diesel before I left.
    There was no mention of age of boat when i went (mine was 25 years). What the organisers want is to pack to dock with interesting boats from as many countries as possible. They like to have uk boats. As long as your boat is of an interesting design, a classic design, has made some interesting voyages, owned by someone famous, or just old, they will probably sign you up. When i went they actually gave a written guarantee that boats attending the event would not be penalised for having red deisel on board.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pks1702 View Post
    Where is Sailorman when you need him
    Yes, where did he go? I know he managed to upset a few folk, but I have to confess that I found his robust style quite amusing. I trust he's still well and sailing.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast