Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation anyone interested in a Avon seasport 400dl jet?

not quite sure it's the right place but definitely not a for sale add as it's not mine nor I'm working for the seller
    I've been searching for a 3m something jet engined tender and came across this particular one on sale in Athens. Went and saw it, but unfortunately it's 4m, if it was 3.5 or so I'd have bought it on the spot. 4m is way too large for my 4m beam (platform is 3.7 at it's widest...)

So anyway to cut a long story short, it's in excellent condition, if they'd tell me it's a year's old I'd probably believe them especially for the exterior and tubes (lived all it's life in the tender garage of a Ferreti 100something custom) and if you want I could point you to the Greek ad and get you in contact with the captain of the Ferreti who's trying to empty some space in a big depot....
    It's a 02 or 03 year and they want 4K euro but I'm pretty sure he'd accept less.

and if someone has a 3.2-3.5m jet tender he wants to get rid off, plz let me know!

cheers

V.

Default Re: anyone interested in a Avon seasport 400dl jet?

Would be very good option as I am continously having problems with my Williams 385. But difficult logisticswise...

Quote Originally Posted by Eren View Post
    Would be very good option as I am continously having problems with my Williams 385. But difficult logisticswise...
    I'm slightly confused as you seem to have a boat on each east Med sea
    where is the boat that you'd be interested in fitting it to?
    I'd have thought that for a few hundred euro the freight co I've used numerous times to bring things from the UK would deliver to Corfu fe (if we're talking about your Adriatic vessel)

and if your williams was a 325 or so I'd be interested to take it off your hands
    btw, what sort of probs do you have with it? 2stroke or 4stroke? how old? just curious!

cheers

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    I'm slightly confused as you seem to have a boat on each east Med sea
    where is the boat that you'd be interested in fitting it to?
    I'd have thought that for a few hundred euro the freight co I've used numerous times to bring things from the UK would deliver to Corfu fe (if we're talking about your Adriatic vessel)

and if your williams was a 325 or so I'd be interested to take it off your hands
    btw, what sort of probs do you have with it? 2stroke or 4stroke? how old? just curious!

cheers

V.
    I can understand that Vas

Let me clarify. I have 2 boats. One of it, Azi47, is based in Montenegro. The other one, SS Manhattan 70, is based in Marmaris, Turkey. For both, I have Williams as tender boats, Williams 285 for Azi and Williams 385 for SS. I had bought 285 from new, looked after it very carefully and all went well, no problems. But I bought the 385 second hand and always minor problems came up and left me without a tender almost each time. I kind of sorted out all the problems but, that connection of trust did not occur with me and the tender. Most of the problems are electrical, not mechanic. Both tenders have the same 4 stroke MP750 Weber engines. Both are 2011. Jetboats are good, but one should take very good care of them and should be very careful when buying second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    not quite sure it's the right place but definitely not a for sale add as it's not mine nor I'm working for the seller
    I've been searching for a 3m something jet engined tender and came across this particular one on sale in Athens. Went and saw it, but unfortunately it's 4m, if it was 3.5 or so I'd have bought it on the spot. 4m is way too large for my 4m beam (platform is 3.7 at it's widest...)

So anyway to cut a long story short, it's in excellent condition, if they'd tell me it's a year's old I'd probably believe them especially for the exterior and tubes (lived all it's life in the tender garage of a Ferreti 100something custom) and if you want I could point you to the Greek ad and get you in contact with the captain of the Ferreti who's trying to empty some space in a big depot....
    It's a 02 or 03 year and they want 4K euro but I'm pretty sure he'd accept less.

and if someone has a 3.2-3.5m jet tender he wants to get rid off, plz let me know!

cheers

V.
    Why a Jet, vas?
    I've always found them unreliable and not as practical as an outboard tender.
    Great fun to drive but difficult to steer.
    I've had both.
    On balance, it is the conventional RIB for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Why a Jet, vas?
    I've always found them unreliable and not as practical as an outboard tender.
    Great fun to drive but difficult to steer.
    I've had both.
    On balance, it is the conventional RIB for me.
    Williams have their foibles but to me they win as

1. they are quick!
    2. there is not a prop to catch the kids
    3. they look good and are fun to drive
    4. the spares from Williams are not expensive
    5. they hold their value

The flip side is

1. you can get ropes caught in the impeller and they are a bugger to get out
    2. only Williams can repair the things - there are people in Mallorca who can do basic repairs but if the engine is not running right they need to consult the computer which seems a Williams only item
    3. they really need flat water - you could really not go far in any sort of sea of more than about 0.5m ( which is pretty flat)
    4. we went through 2 x new engines in 2 months ( the blame was put on fuel). No quibble under warranty but it shows they are fragile. I read somewhere the webber engines have a similar size to power ratio as a formula one engine so they are under stress!
    5. the new price is eye watering !

I love ours but life is a compromise!

thanks for the comments guys,

Eren, sending a 4m jetrib to Marmaris is not particularly difficult, it could be sent it with the normal Rhodes liner and picked up from there if you wish
    Don't really like to sound like a dealer, only met the guy selling it for half an hour but I really liked the condition of the rib,

Mike, I'm thinking more along the lines that Jeremy points on the post next to yours. Also bear in mind MiToS is 43ft (OK in old money without bathing platform so feels like a 45+ space wise) and in terms of space utilisation jetribs are much better than outboard ones. I'd need a 3.2m max rib with an outboard to fit the space!

kids are 15 and 16, sensible, but the 16yo is a boy, nough said... So would really really like to avoid props!
    I feel that with a jetrib I can keep them involved and interested for a few more years (although I think they will still come with us for a week or so a year) Skiing and general messing about in and around an anchorage is a plus.
    Most days we don't bother getting the tender out as we swim to the shore (if we do bother to) and swim back (nice exercise btw). So practicality of the tender is not such a great concern. Thinking about it, this year with 3 weeks on board, we used the tender twice and that was going out for dinner in the evening.
    Depreciation doesn't bother me as I'll be buying s/h and at the end of their useful life, ie CHEAP, not planning to spend more than 4K euros for it.
    Further, passerelle is slightly on the low side, so I've got approx 60cm clearance from bathing platform to the underside of the passerelle, no chance I can fit a decent deep-vee rib there.
    Finally, I do like the all properly setup jetrib, with a wheel (or bike handles on the 3.2m avons), engine hidden away, right weight balance, proper seating. I do hate tiller controlled outboards, a single bench seat, etc... Once you get a proper console, el.start outboard etc, you're way above 4K even s/h with a 40hp+ motor.

OTOH, I don't like the ropes in impeller thing, hope the two stroke avons and zodiacs are slightly better in terms of impeller design...

anyway, any 3.2-3.5m jetribs going cheap anyone??

cheers

V.

hope the two stroke avons and zodiacs are slightly better in terms of impeller design...
    anyway, any 3.2-3.5m jetribs going cheap anyone??
    cheers
    V.[/QUOTE]

Bought a Williams Minijet March last year.
    My old Avon 320 jetrib (2x stroke, handle bars circa 2001) is sitting on trailer under its cover gathering dirt and generally getting in the way (in Essex).
    Will take some pictures and send info if of any interest.
    Think I have the operators manual somewhere or else JFM may still have his electronic copy if asked nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by MJGH View Post
    Bought a Williams Minijet March last year.
    My old Avon 320 jetrib (2x stroke, handle bars circa 2001) is sitting on trailer under its cover gathering dirt and generally getting in the way (in Essex).
    Will take some pictures and send info if of any interest.
    Think I have the operators manual somewhere or else JFM may still have his electronic copy if asked nicely.
    interested, if tubes are in good nick and still securely glued to hull, hull and grp not cracked and of course the price is right
    there's a freight co in sw London (iirc) that can ship anything down here.
    not sure on necessary docs though, got to investigate...

pm on its way

cheers

V.

I imagine all jet ribs swallow ropes as the volume of water they shift is huge.

It is amazing how fast it happens. If I see I am near a rope I pull the killl chord. Most of the time I catch it but if not it can swallow 20 foot of rope by the time the engine stops !

You can’t really pull it out. If you can lift it ( paserelle lift is good hi lo is not !) you cut from underneath Via the intake. If not remove the jet unit ( long sockets ) takes about 45 mins once you have done it a few times ! Williams mallorca charge e125 to do it ! You only pay once !

This season I did not get a rope in once but I suspect luck has as much to do with it as skill!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast