Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: YBW Featured kill chord alarm

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrs View Post
    Fantastic idea! Make the cord part of your clothing, rather than part of the boat.
    I always clip the kill cord into something like a belt loop on my trousers or shorts. The issue is that it dangles when not in use but I put it in a pocket.

A proximity tablet that clips onto your belt loop, lifejacket etc would be ideal and I actually think people would clip it on rather than leave it in a cup holder for fear of having it fly overboard or else have the boat stolen when you are away from it. If it was coded with the receiver then you could market it as a theft deterrent as well as a life saving device. People probably value the theft protection higher than the life saving.

With the life saving element there is already a kill cord on the boat so they will think "I just make sure I use it". The proximity tablet is more convenient than a cord and means your tender / rib / speedboat won't get stolen when you leave it.

As for leaving your car proximity tablet in the cup holder don't. Keep it in your pocket. It will allow you to walk calmly away the next time you get car jacked knowing the vehicle is useless. When turned off, or possibly auto stopped at a set of lights it can't be re-starte. It also removes the chance of carelessness when re-fuelling or "just popping back into the house for 20 seconds". You will be able to show both keys when making an insurance claim. Try doing that when you left the car running with a key in. Would you pay out on a claim where someone left their car running or they keys in the ignition? I wouldn't.

Henry

Hugo has done a demo video on Facebook with the Lifecord, which will hopefully explain how it works more clearly: https://www.facebook.com/motorboatan...9197842123026/

More info here, too: https://www.cordsafe.co.uk/

Looks good.

It's very bulky and clumsy. A lot of stuff to keep in your pocket and if you keep it attached to your leg or body it will impede walking, possibly flick you in the nads. The lifejacket clip is neater but you've still got a spaghetti junction of gubbins hanging around bouncing away.

I admire the thought behind it but don't think this is the world beating solution. It's been designed by an engineer.

Sorry to be negative

Henry

Sadly I agree. The principal of using he existing kill switch and alarming it is a winner.

The execution fails. On our Williams the chord is always clipped on. Alternative is it getting lost or sitting in a cm of water that is always in the footwell.

Under this model the battery will go flat.

The idea of a life jacket key just does not do it fo me. As prior it gets clipped to shorts in my experience.

Henry as you say it will bounce and slap about.

Idea. Very good. Execution. Needs a second iteration. Would I buy an Alarmed kill chord. Yes I would.

Finally battery life given the size of the unit seems very short. Not sure if the batteries are a user change item.

The 'proof of the pudding is in the eating'.. basically if people buy it the concept is good, although I suspect they will not, as others allude it's too bulky & complex, unfortunately a majority of people simply don't use existing kill cords, they plug them in & leave them dangling, on a busy day in the Med just check out all the small boats zipping about, less than 10% have their kill cords attached to helmsman!

So if they can't be bothered to use what is already there, they won't go out of their way to pay £89 for something they probably won't use... of course there are some sensible people who do perceive the risks, but they will just ensure they use the existing kill cord anyway.

It's like seat belts in cars, until the requirement to wear was made law, majority of people didn't wear them, it's the 'won't happen to me' attitude. BUT I am not suggesting making it a legal requirement... we have enough rules & regulations, people have to be responsible for their own actions... not the 'nanny' state!

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post

Finally battery life given the size of the unit seems very short. Not sure if the batteries are a user change item.
    Hugo said in the video, the battery lasts for 40 hours if it is constantly going (alarm) but when used normally it should last a few seasons. He also said the battery was a user change item, just take it to bits and replace.

I agree with all of the above but it is still a very good idea. If you have young kids that use the tender, It could be a good device just to train them to remember to use the kill cord. However, I personally would adopt RuperW's method (post #18) and make that second nature, far easier and less faff.

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    However, I personally would adopt RuperW's method (post #18) and make that second nature, far easier and less faff.
    Agreed. I rarely forget my kill cord but I think I shall adopt the RupertW method from now on.

Perhaps another possible solution would be to sell 'Designer' kill cords, so that people would be encouraged to 'wear' them on their clothing. This might go some way to addressing the 'stupid' problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123