Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Welding set recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    On the mig-welding forum, there is/was a US poster who had a web site on how-too. Vertical drive mower engine of around 12/15 hp driving one or more 100+amp alternators with a choke coil and some other bits. I will see if I can find the linc.
    I have seen a few, as part of old job we experimented with many methods of improvised welding too. I was interested to hear from Brent as he has been using his for a long time, so might have something to add about reliability and durability, and to share what components he uses. Might be a better set up in a support vehicle than the little gas sets or the 24v battery sets

Quite a good site : http://diy-welder.com/weldernator.shtml Brent should be in bed at the mo Think his alt runs off the main engine?

We start building a vehicle next week for an expedition in Morocco, it is a support vehicle for motorcycles. Based around land rover discovery running gear, I might see if we could incorporate something into that.
    As for the OP, it might be worth asking on here if there is anyone near him with a welding set. If he was down here he could try all our stuff before he made a decision what to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    You have any pics of your alternator set up? 12 v or 24?
    I feed the field of the 12 volt alternator from my starting battery. Direct feed would burn the field windings, so I run it thru a 12 volt 50 watt halogen bulb , to reduce the amperage. I also run it thru a toggle switch, so I can turn the field off when not welding. It takes at least a 9 inch pulley on my 2500 RPM engine to get it going fast enough. I once had a commercially made one which used a ten inch pulley on a 3800 RPM engine. I use the RPMs to adjust the output. I have used diodes in big pieces of aluminium plate as heat sinks. I put my negative diodes in an aluminium cockpit box for a negative ground. I put the positive ones on the end of a big piece of aluminium plate, so I could put the bottom of it in a bucket of water ,if it got hot. It has not even got warm yet.
    I used to believe that open circuiting an alternator would instantly fry the internal diodes, which come with the alternator .I have since found out that, it takes about 3 months to fry the diodes. A guy I met in Mexico in 89, told me that putting a 120 volt 50 watt light bulb on the output , eliminates the open circuit ,and makes the internal diodes which come with an alternator, last a long time. My current ones have lasted several years of welding, with the bulb on the output. I still have the external ones in the plates, for when that happens. A standard 3 prong house plug makes a good hookup for them.
    When you weld, the power goes the path of least resistance, and the bulb goes out, having no noticeable effect on output.
    I didn't have room in my engine box for the big alternator , so I mounted it outside, with a removable panel for the belt to run thru.
    With it, I have built everything from wood stoves, to anchor winches, to self steering, in my cockpit, while at anchor.
    Eventually, after several years, the field windings get weaker, and output declines, but that is a lot of welding for the cost of an auto wrecker alternator.
    Of road drivers often rig an alternator for for welding .
    This welder runs all my 120 volt power tools. By varying the RPMs, I can control things far better .It makes all my tools into variable speed, including my angle grinder.
    A friend, cruising Mexico at the moment, said he hears people talking about generators ,and related problems.
    He tells them:
    "Bolt a small engine and an alternator to a piece of plywood .It will charge your batteries, run all your tools and weld. If something craps out, you are out $35 for an alternator, or the price of the motor."
    100 amps output for your tools is a lot more than most small generators .
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 17-01-18 at 23:22.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234