Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Repair of Stem at Forefoot Advice please

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Do you have access to the inside?
    If so, I would consider reinforcing the inside if necessary.
    Unfortunately a buoyancy compartment in there with no access........
    David
    Red Fox 226

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    Perhaps i need to get my eyes tested (or someone does) but i still cannot see any amount of damage to the stem that requires a repair as drastic as grinding out and re-laminating. Looks to me like most of the "damage" is confined to the antifoul. Being able to see the odd bit of CSM doesn't necessarily mean he's done more than chip a bit of gelcoat.
    I think you're probably right Paul, but previous (PO?) repairs there have left quite a soft area, and I am (possibly unnecessarily) concerned about the exposed CSM. I will be conservative with any grinding....
    David
    Red Fox 226

Perhaps i need to get my eyes tested (or someone does) but i still cannot see any amount of damage to the stem that requires a repair as drastic as grinding out and re-laminating.
    Was about to say the same.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Being able to see the odd bit of CSM doesn't necessarily mean he's done more than chip a bit of gelcoat.
    The only way to be sure is to take an angle grinder to the damaged area. No amount of looking from the outside can tell how deep is the damage or whether there has been any separation between the underlying layers.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    The only way to be sure is to take an angle grinder to the damaged area. No amount of looking from the outside can tell how deep is the damage or whether there has been any separation between the underlying layers.
    Thank you - I will do just that - conservatively!
    David
    Red Fox 226

Quote Originally Posted by Redfox226 View Post
    Unfortunately a buoyancy compartment in there with no access........
    I might not rule out creating access. Either a hatch to work through or a drain bung fiting to insert and endoscope or even just a light source.
    If your bow damage does go right through, even as a fine crack, you might have trapped water in the compartment.

I think what I would do in your position is to firstly remove all paint etc for 1ft back from the bow.
    Then explore the damage initially with a scalpel and a dremel.

What we have seen so far does not really tell us if the damage is trivial or significant.
    Another useful thing to do is to squeeze the two sides of the bow together a couple of inches behind the damage. That may show movement if the damage is significant.
    Also, GRP which is cracked and degraded tends to stay damp.
    You might drill 3mm hole and see if the swarf comes out damp?
    It's also more opaque, if you can remove the gel coat and shine a light through it, you will see the difference. Provided you are not looking at filler or reinforcement that is. Because getting glass into a tight corner of a mould can be awkward, the bow is sometimes filled and the later layers of glass are laminated inside whatever is used to fill the sharp stem.

Don't panic, GRP is almost infinitely fixable! And GRP cruising boats are usually more than strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Don't panic, GRP is almost infinitely fixable! And GRP cruising boats are usually more than strong enough.
    That's right! People new to GRP work seem to forget that production boats are moulded in a factory - often by semi-skilled labour in the case of 'older' boats - and not in a laboratory,
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Guys
    Thanks a lot for your wisdom..... Come warmer weather, I will try to post my results here..
    David
    Red Fox 226

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    Yes, of course, and do go deep at the very front. It is not uncommon to find weak (empty) areas there because it is sometimes very difficult to reach inside there in a mould and do a proper job of laminating. I don't know about the Redfox but I have come across such defects in old boats with a 'sharp' stem.

That is certainly the best way!
    GRP boats can be made by hand laying layers of glass cloth. But certainly for production lay, up a chop strand gun is used.
    One could imagine that the bow area might be difficult to lay cloth by hand in the narrow point area but more likely using the chopper gun the narrow area will be filled with resin and strands of glass. (making it very thick)
    It may be possible guess at the construction by looking at the prow area near the deck to guess at lay up thickness.
    OP should however try to find if the compartment behind the bow has any water in it. Try rocking the boat listening for slosh sound or making a small hole in bulkhead to check for water. If water is found it may not be via the bow damage but check anyway.
    In the end I would just grind it clean and fill with epoxy and glass as seems appropriate. Not worth a steel strip when it is so easy fix again if necessary. olewill

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    OP should however try to find if the compartment behind the bow has any water in it. Try rocking the boat listening for slosh sound or making a small hole in bulkhead to check for water. If water is found it may not be via the bow damage but check anyway.
    I will certainly be doing that....
    Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    In the end I would just grind it clean and fill with epoxy and glass as seems appropriate. Not worth a steel strip when it is so easy fix again if necessary. olewill
    Thank you Will - compromise answer is good.
    David
    Red Fox 226

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12