Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Unknown boat type - help needed

Hi Guys,

My first post on this forum, please forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

I am a complete novice looking to buy a project boat and have been offered an abandoned boat at a local yard. I have been told it has been standing on it's trailer for something like the past two years and is looking sad and very shabby. It is of bilge keel configuration and fibreglass construction and by my best guess 22 - 26 feet in length. It has a tiller control and this was all I could see standing on a ladder from outside. I didn't want to risk stepping into the cockpit as all the wood work (bench tops looked rotten)

I want to make an offer but I want to know more first, if anyone can recognise this boat make or model please let me know.

Last edited by Bernie Walsh; 13-01-18 at 19:03.

Default Re: Unknown boat type - help needed

It looks like a Macwester 26 to me. They are not a popular boat and don't sail particularly well. If it is complete and has decent sails and a working engine it may be worth considering but it really won't be worth more than a few hundred pounds in that state and there are better buys out there

Bernie,

sorry your welcome to the forums is not more positive. Sadly I agree with all the above; move on, there are lots of much better boats in need of TLC out there going for peanuts or even free.

It would also be useful for guidance if we could tell roughly which part of the country you are based please.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please PM me here - www.anderson22class.co.uk

Or a macwester 27. I have one. Not sure what the difference is between the 26 and the 27. A foot?!
    Solidly built. Not fast. If it is in good nick with a decent engine it might be worth about 4000. If not, 2000 tops. I paid 8000 about 15 years ago so will take a considerable hit even though I have re engined, fitted heating, hot and cold pressurised water, roller head sail...,

Definitely a Macwester 26. Leave it where it is so it is someone else's problem. As said, not the best of boats in the first place if you are interested in a sailing boat and not worth spending anything on it. Plenty of better boats for very little money available elsewhere. A project boat of that size will eat you out of house and home and never be worth anything. Better to buy a functioning boat if you want to go sailing.

Or - ask them how much they will pay you to take it away?

Hi Guys,

I really appreciate all the advice, it's a shame that the boat is not a different model as all other parts of the deal seemed good. The yard owner was willing to offer me a great deal on hard standing for a year to allow for working time to prepare for cruising. So I am still looking for a boat that needs work that I can buy for little money in my area (South Glos/Glos) that would be suitable for a novice sailor who likes to spend weekends dreaming of the hotter parts of the world. I am open to suggestions of a good boat to search for or leads to a boat for sale that needs works worth carrying out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Walsh View Post
    Hi Guys,

I really appreciate all the advice, it's a shame that the boat is not a different model as all other parts of the deal seemed good. The yard owner was willing to offer me a great deal on hard standing for a year to allow for working time to prepare for cruising. So I am still looking for a boat that needs work that I can buy for little money in my area (South Glos/Glos) that would be suitable for a novice sailor who likes to spend weekends dreaming of the hotter parts of the world. I am open to suggestions of a good boat to search for or leads to a boat for sale that needs works worth carrying out.
    If you have no experience of boats or sailing then suggest you don't look at a project. The reason boats are in the state that you see there is because they are worthless, whatever you do to them. There are plenty of usable boats in the 20-26' or so range that can be bought ready to sail and suitable for a novice for less than 5k - and you won't get a similar size run down boat, particularly if it has a dodgy engine or poor sails up and running, up an running for that amount of money.

Where you are located is not the best place to look for boats because it is not a really popular (or easy) part of the world to sail. One of the best ways of finding what it is all about is to join a club where you are likely to find opportunities to crew on other members' boats. Also helpful to take a week's ;earn to sail course as you will learn the basics (even if it is on a bigger and posher boat) that will first give you an idea whether you like it or not and secondly useful skills to be a good crew member.

A year or two of that and you will have a much clearer idea of what sort of boat to look for rather than asking others to tell you what boat to buy.

Having sailed on Macwester 26 I can report that it is not scintillating sailing but given it does not sail to windward in all other aspects it’s a great little boat for ditch crawling keeping on a cheap drying mooring etc.Many people I have known find them quite adequate for their needs.Depends what you want

The important bit is if the engine works....especially with macwester 26

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast