Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Brand New to the Boating World and desperate for help please

Def look at dry stack / yard operated trailer storage (they use their own tractor and help with launch and recovery), either will reduce the pain.

RIBS are in general safer: very difficult to sink one.

Without any experience or training you are a potential accident waiting to happen. Please either go with someone experienced first a few times, or even better do an RYA course.

Personally I am not a great fan of small powerboats, though my children did enjoy waterskiing when younger. I regularly used RIBS, rigid v-hulls and dories are safety boats for sail training for many years, so was reasonably competent at the boat handling aspect. As a sailing yacht owner I could also navigate, though all you need of that is the absolute basics.

As well as the PITA of launching, consider also the fuel costs. A typical small planing powerboat/RIB might burn 30-50 litres an hour, a slightly bigger one or with a really big engine 80-120 litres an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie007 View Post
    We are looking to buy a boat for family use; wake boarding / skiing / bit of fishing / having fun on the South Coast...

Any help / advice would be massively appreciated, thank you.

Not wishing to put you off but a quick look at some of the reports on mishaps with small power boats will emphasis what jwilson says

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports?keyw...rence%5Bto%5D=

The report on a famous accident a few years ago involving a high powered RIB and an experienced family out with their new boat, Milly, for the first time, just having fun, is well worth a read. Terrifying what can happen.
    https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/ejec...oss-of-2-lives

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    RIBS are in general safer: very difficult to sink one.

Without any experience or training you are a potential accident waiting to happen. Please either go with someone experienced first a few times, or even better do an RYA course.

Agree completely with the need for safety awareness. This class of boat and around here produces the most accidents by far and were in fact the cause of authorities imposing laws on driver licence and safety equipment requirements for almost all boating here.
    This type of outboard (over) powered boat known as the "runabout" have the potential for capsize in big seas under power especially if you drive into the back of a wave and broach. Also the potential to be swamped from behind by your own stern wave when cutting power rapidly just to mention a few. I am not experienced in power boating although I was teaching power boat handling for many years and still teach our support boat drivers high speed handling (for approval to break speed limits) but to be honest all I can teach (emphasise) is be very careful with the throttle. This class of boat are kind of the equivalent of motor cycle on the roads. (can be deadly)
    To add to the down side around here a lot of really nice water is speed limited to 8knots and it is generally windy so water
    too rough for any comfortable speed. So I stick to my sail boat. (no motor) olewill

Whilst you will see doom laden stories about Bowriders, we found the truth to be more around the days you can go out being more restricted. We survived a bowrider for a number of years in and around the Solent/south coast but it was true to say that there were some days when we saw other people able to go out whilst sense told us we had to stay in. With the specific "wakeboard" boats they have a low freeboard which makes the problem worse. RIBs certainly ride better.

We still have a "small" boat compared to most of this forum and we are still having great fun in it. Ok, so we do not stay on it overnight, we do not go out in F3/F4 except where the wind direction provides a lot of shelter. Yes, we are fair weather boaters but then people have crossed the Solent on an upturned table on nice days.
    Last edited by mlines; 15-01-18 at 10:13.
    Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

Go and have a chat to these people:http://www.boatability.co.uk/ based in Portsmouth, they can give you some training and advice before you part with money. When you are ready to start fishing have a look at my web site below. There is a free book on there to download on boat owning but that is aimed more at fishing than wakeboarding.
    www.boat-angling.co.uk for information on fishing in the Eastern Solent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12