Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    11

    Default Rules on name on boat?

    I'm taking a trip upriver soon, however I recently had the name on the boat removed to allow for repainting. I was planning on spending some time choosing the right new vinyl etc. but I fear I'm quickly running out of time.

    Does anyone know what the rules are around not having a name on the boat when on the Thames (both tidal and non-tidal?) Can I get away with it for a couple of days?

    Alternatively, any quick solution? I was thinking of literally spelling the boat name out with some Gorilla tape?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Rules on name on boat?

    For the non-tidal Thames the EA's requirements copied from the .gov website are below:

    Display of boat name
    If you own a powered boat, you must display your boat’s name, exactly as it appears on your registration certificate, on each side of the bow and on the stern. (It is acceptable for owners of narrowboats to display the boat name in the traditional way on each side of the cabin.)

    The name must be clearly marked in plain letters in the following minimum sizes:

    5.1cm (2in) for a boat no more than 6.09m (20ft) in length
    7.6cm (3in) for a boat between 6.09m (20ft) and 9.14m (30ft) in length
    10.2cm (4in) for a boat between 9.14 (30ft) and 15.23m (50ft) in length
    15.2cm (6in) for a boat exceeding 15.23m (50ft)

    You can choose what medium to display the name be that painted on the hull, vinyl letters stuck on the hull, Gorilla tape or written on a bit of cardboard in bold felt tip pen, I've seen it all.
    Last edited by Old Crusty; 14-01-18 at 08:11.
    When I was in the Navy ...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    3,999

    Default Re: Rules on name on boat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    For the non-tidal Thames the EA's requirements copied from the .gov website are below:

    Display of boat name
    If you own a powered boat, you must display your boat’s name, exactly as it appears on your registration certificate, on each side of the bow and on the stern. (It is acceptable for owners of narrowboats to display the boat name in the traditional way on each side of the cabin.)

    The name must be clearly marked in plain letters in the following minimum sizes:

    5.1cm (2in) for a boat no more than 6.09m (20ft) in length
    7.6cm (3in) for a boat between 6.09m (20ft) and 9.14m (30ft) in length
    10.2cm (4in) for a boat between 9.14 (30ft) and 15.23m (50ft) in length
    15.2cm (6in) for a boat exceeding 15.23m (50ft)


    You can choose what medium to display the name be that painted on the hull, vinyl letters stuck on the hull, Gorilla tape or written on a bit of cardboard in bold felt tip pen, I've seen it all.



    Far be it for me to comment on someone with experience nearer the sharp end, but aren't the rules more relaxed for visitors?

    Surely a name clearly marked in very large type on pieces of cardboard and placed in windows would suffice - the object being to be able to hail the vessel in times of trouble.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Rules on name on boat?

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    Far be it for me to comment on someone with experience nearer the sharp end, but aren't the rules more relaxed for visitors?

    Surely a name clearly marked in very large type on pieces of cardboard and placed in windows would suffice - the object being to be able to hail the vessel in times of trouble.
    No, the rules are the rules, there is no relaxation for visitors. As I said, a bit of cardboard with the name on it will do and I've seen this done on many boats arriving unmarked at Teddington Lock after a chat with the duty lockie. Whether the EA would challenge any vessel now for being unmarked is a another matter.
    When I was in the Navy ...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Rules on name on boat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    Whether the EA would challenge any vessel now for being unmarked is a another matter.
    Precisely, seen loads of boats without names and poor old Simes tries to keep the rules on deaf ears.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Rules on name on boat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Parabordi View Post
    Precisely, seen loads of boats without names and poor old Simes tries to keep the rules on deaf ears.
    It's a minor offence not to mark your vessel and the fine would be a tenner so no court action likely. However, under article 16 of the IWO 2010, any unregistered vessel that is unidentifiable could be seized and removed from the waterway after 28 days and held till the owner coughs up or then sold and the costs recovered. Not that will happen but it could with the right will in the right place ... just saying ...
    When I was in the Navy ...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Rules on name on boat?

    Hi all, thanks very much for the input. Very insightful. It sounds unlikely I'll be called out, but for the sake of half an hour with some cardboard and a marker I think I'll just go ahead and do it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Just a few cables from Boulters Lock
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Rules on name on boat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    It's a minor offence not to mark your vessel and the fine would be a tenner so no court action likely. However, under article 16 of the IWO 2010, any unregistered vessel that is unidentifiable could be seized and removed from the waterway after 28 days and held till the owner coughs up or then sold and the costs recovered. Not that will happen but it could with the right will in the right place ... just saying ...
    How an efficient and effective enforcement regime can operate without clear identification of a boats name or identity is beyond me. .... just saying... ....
    Thames Motor Boater? GET ON BOARD for £5 !- Support http://tmba.org.uk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Rules on name on boat?

    Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    How an efficient and effective enforcement regime can operate without clear identification of a boats name or identity is beyond me. .... just saying... ....
    Where is that efficient and effective enforcement regime? Hmm ...
    When I was in the Navy ...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Rules on name on boat?

    efficient and effective, EA? Hmm ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Boats For Sale

to
to