Default Waterpump question

Hello everyone! My question is: i have a yanmar 2qm15 with no water pump, buying new water pump original would cost me 550 gbp. this is to much for me so i bought second hand two jabsco pumps. i have service kit for my ynmar 2qm15 but when i measure impeller size, the original is twice smaller than what i have. my question is: (my engine is raw water colled) if i install more powerfull waterpump will it cause any damage to my engine ? thanks

Default Re: Waterpump question

Second hand pumps are available and can be refurbished with bearings and seals for much less than £550.

Using electric pumps is not a good idea as they are not continuous rated for long service.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

When you say "no water pump" do you mean it is completely missing, or that it does not work ?

What are the models of Jabsco pumps that you have ?
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    Using electric pumps is not a good idea as they are not continuous rated for long service.
    He didn't say anything about an electric pump, though I suppose it could be. I was assuming a belt-driven Jabsco impeller pump, as sold for fishing-boat washdown pumps, emergency bilge-pumps, and the like, and generally rather larger than the engine's original water pump.

I assume that slightly higher pressure isn't going to somehow force water out of the cooling galleries and into the oily side of the engine, so my concerns would be the exhaust (is the gas produced by the engine sufficient to blow the extra water out?) and the wellbeing of the pump itself with the output restricted.

Could it perhaps be arranged to run slower with different-sized pulleys?

Pete

Have a look at this 2GM pump, it is actually a Johnson from Sweden. I have a 3GM and this is the one I am thinking of buying to keep as a spare.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Impellerp...53.m1438.l2649
    Most of the Yanmar installations are similar except for the 1GM which is a direct drive raw water pump.