Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dinghy recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by alisdair4 View Post
    Fair point about the waste of power - we in fact have a 4hp OBM. SWMBO is very unhappy with "wobbly floors" - I suppose an inflatable floor may be OK instead?
    Airdeck floor and inflatable keel make a hell of a difference from slatted.

A 6 year old pvc Waveline 2.9 with ply floor and inflatable keel is daily transport for us for much of the year but too heavy for what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Our Seago 270 has been used and abused for 12 years now - including being left inflated all summer for the last 6+ years.
    The complaints about easy holing I heard were from liveaboards about dinghies purchased in the last 3 years or so. Could well be lighter fabric than used 12 years ago.

We have a Plastimo 2.6 inflatable. Whilste it has done it job well for 4 years I would not recommend one of this type as :-
    it has a ply transom which being ply has a limited life and is heavy - alu or GRP would be better
    it has heavy ply floor boards whick take in water & crack
    the seat is ply hung on a couple of brackets which clips onto a pair of webbing straps. The seat is heavy and the webbing straps is a poor way of seat fixing and is showing signs of wear.
    The Plastimo Logo Patches at the bow go sticky in sunlight.
    The oarlocks (swiveling bar type) are not strong and I have one broken and one cracked and ready to break.

Apart from that it holds air perfectly and is a a very good tender.

I've got a roll-up Zodiac which I'd guess is 2.60 ish ... and slatted floors which you can leave in when you roll it up. This is the best solution because they're very difficult to insert when it's either inflated or deflated but ... either way it's as heavy as hell to carry! I've been pondering a 3D having read about them and seen the video etc so would be interested to know if they're as easy and as light as claimed.

Currently work Hampshire/Live Cornwall (!)

Quote Originally Posted by alisdair4 View Post
    A HNY to all.

I am looking for recommendations for a replacement tender for our LM 32. The requirements are:

a. No bigger than 2.6m.
    b. Transom stern, capable of taking up to 5 HP motor.
    c. Slatted or inflatable floor.
    d. Light (<40 KG - so comfortable one-man lift).
    e. Must fold up small enough to go into the lockers - I don't like towing!
    f. Less than 600.

The background is that we inherited a very large (3.8m) dinghy with the boat. It is too large to fit on the fore deck inflated, and to be easily pumped up and deflated. Thus it never gets used, and as it won't fit into a cockpit locker is a darned nuisance. It is also way to heavy!

The Seago range looks cheap - but is it cheerful? The dinghy might be used about 5 times per season, as we keep Nordlys in a marina.

Thanks in advance.
    HNY to you too. May I suggest that some of the requirements are a bit contradictory in that the stated requirement for a transom stern is a little at odds with:

Is a rigid transom essential, especially for your estimated use of 5 times per year? A round tail dinghy such as the Avon Redcrest is rated to 4 h.p. which is what you have, is lighter and stows more compactly plus it's Hypalon which seems to last forever. This wasn't meant as an advertisement but if it's of interest, I have such a dinghy sitting in my shed, only been in the water once or maybe twice and being the later (last?) model, it has the slatted floor and bigger tubes, in fact I think I have a (used) inflatable floor for it somewhere as well (we used it on our other Redcrest but as this one refuses to die after 34 years of ownership, the newer one may as well go).

If you really do want a transom for whatever reason, then fair enough, but maybe a round tail is worth a thought for the ease of handling?

PVB mentioned Excel. We used and abused one for about 8 years. Eventually some of the glue used in the original construction started to weaken, which we attributed to UV damage. The dinghy usually spend about 5 months each year sitting on the foredeck.

We recently bought another Excel, the 260SD, and are very pleased with it. However, unless you are Hercules, some good transom wheels are likely to be invaluable, especially if an outboard is attached.

I see the Excel website currently quotes 659 fro the 260SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    HNY to you too. May I suggest that some of the requirements are a bit contradictory in that the stated requirement for a transom stern is a little at odds with:

Is a rigid transom essential, especially for your estimated use of 5 times per year? A round tail dinghy such as the Avon Redcrest is rated to 4 h.p. which is what you have, is lighter and stows more compactly plus it's Hypalon which seems to last forever. This wasn't meant as an advertisement but if it's of interest, I have such a dinghy sitting in my shed, only been in the water once or maybe twice and being the later (last?) model, it has the slatted floor and bigger tubes, in fact I think I have a (used) inflatable floor for it somewhere as well (we used it on our other Redcrest but as this one refuses to die after 34 years of ownership, the newer one may as well go).

If you really do want a transom for whatever reason, then fair enough, but maybe a round tail is worth a thought for the ease of handling?
    Fair point, Goldie. I will broaden my parameters to include a round tail. I specified a transom, only because I had never used an OBM with a round-tail dinghy.
    If not now, when?

I have a Seago 230 round tail - because they stow in much smaller spaces than hard transom jobs, I use a Mariner 2hp on mine which is fine, but the bracket is very cumbersome to stow.

It has an inflatable floor and adjustable wooden thwart - rowing position and oars are adequate.

It isn't a patch ( pardon the pun ! ) on my old Zodiac 240 which was wonderful and had much bigger tubes, but modern Zodiacs are silly money to put it mildly, also said not to be as good now, and I only use the inflatable occasionally.

When I bought my Seago 3 years ago I made up a table of all the budget dinghies comparing weight, stowed size, inflatable floor etc and as one would expect they were much the same, but the Seago was slightly ahead on both features and price - for the money I'm happy with mine, the material doesn't seem particularly thin.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please PM me here - www.anderson22class.co.uk

One problem that seems to occur with airdeck dinghys is that the rowlocks are not high enough and make them awkward to row.

I'm with Seajet after ending up with a Seago 230 roundtail for much the same reasons. I tried a Seago 240 transom but with less leg room inside, it was impossible to row. My Mariner 3.3 is probably too powerful for the OB bracket which must be why they don't do larger roundtails. My previous hypalon Lifeguard roundtail was superb and lasted 35years and rolled up very small but sadly not made any more.
    As I usually row to my mooring I was wary of the pin type rowlocks and prefer the Avon style rubber ones that accept any type of oars. Seago now seem to have changed to the pin style on their new models.
    Whatever you choose make sure you can row with passengers on board as no engine is 100% reliable. Where do you put 2 passengers when rowing a small transom dinghy?
    If you have room to stow it, then bigger is better if you have to make a choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12