Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: The Caribbean this Christmas

Quick question for you Henry:

I've been looking at Canon DSLR's and possibly narrowed my search to the 800D. I notice they have a video record time limit and also a file size limit, approximately 30 minutes and 4Gb respectively depending on resolution used etc, so limits can actually be much less. I saw one person comment less than 10 minutes record at 1080P. I don't think this is likely to be an issue as I'm not looking to record a football match or F1 Grandprix but would be interested in your real world experience on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.C View Post
    Quick question for you Henry:

I've been looking at Canon DSLR's and possibly narrowed my search to the 800D. I notice they have a video record time limit and also a file size limit, approximately 30 minutes and 4Gb respectively depending on resolution used etc, so limits can actually be much less. I saw one person comment less than 10 minutes record at 1080P. I don't think this is likely to be an issue as I'm not looking to record a football match or F1 Grandprix but would be interested in your real world experience on this.
    Hi. I use the Canon 7D MkII which has the same limitation you mention. However, it's easy to plaice the files to create one video. You lose nothing.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    Hi. I use the Canon 7D MkII which has the same limitation you mention. However, it's easy to plaice the files to create one video. You lose nothing.
    Thanks Piers, does the camera just stop recording when it reaches the limit or does it automatically start a new record cycle?

Thanks Piers, does the camera just stop recording when it reaches the limit or does it automatically start a new record cycle?
    The maximum movie length at full HD is 11 minutes (that's how long it takes for the file to reach 4 gigabytes, which is the file size limit). When you reach that limit, the camera creates a new movie file to hold the next 11 minutes of video. Recording stops automatically when the recording time reaches 29 minutes and 59 seconds.

Also you need a fast memory card, above class 6 or you get buffer under-run.
    Last edited by MrB; 04-02-18 at 15:32.

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    The maximum movie length at full HD is 11 minutes (that's how long it takes for the file to reach 4 gigabytes, which is the file size limit). When you reach that limit, the camera creates a new movie file to hold the next 11 minutes of video. Recording stops automatically when the recording time reaches 29 minutes and 59 seconds.

Also you need a fast memory card, above class 6 or you get buffer under-run.
    So to make sure I understand if you set the camera recording you will record 29 minutes and 59 seconds of video but if at full HD that time will be split across 4 separate files?

Thanks all for the clarifications on how these cameras record video.

So to make sure I understand if you set the camera recording you will record 29 minutes and 59 seconds of video but if at full HD that time will be split across 4 separate files?

Thanks all for the clarifications on how these cameras record video.
    Well 3 continuous files i guess, 11, 22 then 7.59 mins. (At full HD) I'm no expert though, Henry would know more. There is nothing stopping you just restarting the video so it does it all again until your card or battery runs out. I have never filmed that long though.
    Last edited by MrB; 04-02-18 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Well 3 continuous files i guess, 11, 22 then 7.59 mins. (At full HD) I'm no expert though, Henry would know more. There is nothing stopping you just restarting the video so it does it all again until your card or battery runs out. I have never filmed that long though.
    Haha... I'll call that a Sunday brain fart, yes 3 files.

Appreciate all the help, it makes more sense now.

Haha... I'll call that a Sunday brain fart, yes 3 files.

Appreciate all the help, it makes more sense now.
    You can't go far wrong with the cameras, they are excellent amateur or pro. Very easy to use. Do get a good memory card though, I use Sandisk Extreme. (Class 10)

Happens automatically. Nothing for you to do.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Sorry Henry, late to this. Looked like a fantastic cruise. Great vid as ever, many thanks. Your efforts to ensure our wintry blues are uplifted is exemplary. Such dedication!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234