Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wind, solar, alternator and 3 battery banks

Thanks, 'pvb'.

I'm getting there. Painfully....

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Actually, I don't want to fit any switches. I was thinking of asking you to do it, together with the other 'lecky work.... but that not going to happen, now.
    You asked some questions, i gave you the correct answers (same as PVB actually). Sorry if you don't like my answers, i'll be sure to spend some of my time freely helping you next time you need some help though
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Conversely, it's quicker to recharge one bank from 80% than both banks from 90%, if charging current is limited.
    Correct but the downside is quicker and deeper cycling of individual bank compared to both connected together = smaller discharge = longer battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamM376 View Post
    Correct but the downside is quicker and deeper cycling of individual bank compared to both connected together = smaller discharge = longer battery life.
    You'll probably only get the longer battery life if you have ample charging current to swiftly bring the batteries back to fully charged.

Some people have made splitting the house bank into two switchable banks work well for them as it means they can renew half the batteries at one time instead of all of them.
    It suits some people to know that not all of their batteries are getting old.

I've just changed my DC supply lay out from having two separate house batteries to just one. I had the same issue as you.

I had one start battery then a 3 way changeover switch where position 1 was meant to be the start battery, then you'd change to position 2, which was meant recharge the start battery and one of the house batteries, position 3 then was to recharge the two house batteries. That on its own always meant the switch change always got forgotten about so usually the engine got started and ran, shut down, sailed all day before we realised late in the day that we hadn't switched over. Luckily for us we never had a flat battery.

This then got complicated because number three battery only supplied the pumps, via a 12-24v converter because the pumps are 24v !?!

I have now removed battery number three, moved the house battery into the engine bay where I can add more batteries in parallel and will be fitting as large a solar panel as will fit on the hatch and coach roof. The engine start battery is directly connected to the engine. The house battery is only connected to the domestics. I will then fit three isolator switches, two in the cabin to isolate the two batteries from their respective loads and a hidden parallel switch in the engine bay for emergency use.

This is the most common method because it's simple and works. I understand you have a complication with location but it is definitely worth looking into moving all your batteries into one bank and ensuring your charging system is matched to suit/your battery capacity suits the charging abilities.
    www.cobraseawolf.webs.com - Cobra and Seawolf Owners Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12