Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where to charter on the French canals???

Quote Originally Posted by westernman View Post
    No idea. But this company has boats in my town close to the Canal du Midi.

http://www.locaboat.com/fr/preparer-...-de-bases.html

In particular for where I live:-

http://www.locaboat.com/fr/votre-bas...rt/lattes.html

A restaurant I frequent overlooks the places in the marina where they park their boats.
    Thanks for the links. Will check out their boats.
    The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    The Canal du Nivernais is certainly one of the most beautiful in France. We hired there a few years ago and loved it. Several operators hire there including le Boat. We went with a firm called AquaFluvial who were much cheaper. The countryside is stunning and there is little or no commercial traffic. Clamecy is a lovely town and Auxerre a very interesting small City.

Following that trip we sold our sailing boat and bought a motor boat which we now keep in the French inland waterways. Sadly our boat is a little too tall to get beyond Auxerre and onto the Nivernais - but we have great memories of that trip and have still not found any inland waterway more attractive.
    Thank you. Have been looking at photos of the Nivernais and it does look lovely. The map showed me that this is in north central France. What are your thoughts on typical weather (if such a thing exists) in that area the last week of May?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
    We did the Lot late last year with Le Boat. It was delightful. We’ve also done the Midi in our own boat and personally, I thought it was both scenic and historically interesting.
    So did you like one or the other better?

I have seen comments that the Midi can be crowded but of course different people have different interpretations of crowded. Regardless, I could put up with a little crowded for a lot of scenic and historic, as long as crowded doesn't mean waiting in lines, delays at the locks or what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    We recently watched this Great Canal Journeys episode:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/g...mand/65396-004

Marne - Rhine, beautiful.

Richard
    Thanks Richard. Could see the videos but have not yet been able to get them to play. Could be a region blocking thing since I'm over here and the videos are over there. I was able to find some other photos and videos of the Marne-Rhine and it looks pretty spectacular.

I think I may be running into a plethora of riches.

Quote Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
    Thank you. Have been looking at photos of the Nivernais and it does look lovely. The map showed me that this is in north central France. What are your thoughts on typical weather (if such a thing exists) in that area the last week of May?
    We went in Mid September and the weather in late May would probably be similar - pleasant and quite warm during the day, but a bit cool in the evenings. We did use the heater on the boat a couple of times. We had one day of light rain, apart from that it was beautiful. Of course, similar conditions cannot be guaranteed!

A few years later we got to Auxerre in our own boat in August, and it was much too hot.

We went in Mid September and the weather in late May would probably be similar - pleasant and quite warm during the day, but a bit cool in the evenings. We did use the heater on the boat a couple of times. We had one day of light rain, apart from that it was beautiful. Of course, similar conditions cannot be guaranteed!
    Oh gee, and I was looking for a guarantee for the weather. Seriously, that does sound just right to me.

A few years later we got to Auxerre in our own boat in August, and it was much too hot.
    For someone that spends most of his time in Florida where August temps are usually 35C (and 80-90% humidity) and can go higher I doubt France would seem that warm to me at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
    So did you like one or the other better?
    Both different, both enjoyable. The Lot felt more remote: smaller villages, few opportunities for dining ashore. It is however stunningly pretty and tranquil. We had two weeks in mid September and the weather was fine for much of the time.

The Midi was a little different. We were transiting as quickly as possible and I kept wishing we could have spent time exploring the bigger and more numerous stops along the way. There's a lot of history on that route to enjoy. It was May, and the hire boats were in evidence, but not too many of them and very seldom did we have to queue for locks. Even at the popular Fonseranne staircase at the weekend, we waited no more than a couple of lock-cycles.

I'd happily go back to either and spend more time again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12