Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Default Re: Belgian flag used by Spanish yachts

I don't know why countries are so fussy about boats. You can buy a valuable painting and you are not required to pay fees etc. This sort of thing is the thin edge of the wedge as far as I am concerned. I feel totally opressed by regulations now. The government has shifted tax from income to capital and the result is misery, tax on boat ownership is a capital tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Anyway, should anyone be interested, just try by yourself and see what happens rather than believing whatever people say in the internet
    Exactly.
    And then you post a link to Italians saying something on the internet.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
    Exactly.
    And then you post a link to Italians saying something on the internet.
    Ever heard about 2nd degree ?

Anyway, do believe whatever you prefer, you may well have just uncovered one the hugest fake news ever set up
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    I don't know why countries are so fussy about boats. You can buy a valuable painting and you are not required to pay fees etc. This sort of thing is the thin edge of the wedge as far as I am concerned. I feel totally opressed by regulations now. The government has shifted tax from income to capital and the result is misery, tax on boat ownership is a capital tax.
    Just like cars in many countries, boats and skippers are considered as cash cows. (Why else don't they accept qualifications from other EU-countries?? Protectionism and €€-hunting on the supreme level, especially in the Med.)
    Last edited by GTom; 23-01-18 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
    Just like cars in many countries, boats and skippers are considered as cash cows. (Why else don't they accept qualifications from other EU-countries?? Protectionism and €€-hunting on the supreme level, especially in the Med.)
    Its not only Europe adding duties http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42784380

Quote Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
    Its not only Europe adding duties http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42784380
    Yeah, that one sounds silly. Still, start counting - some of these apply to the US as well, some not, rates also differ quite a bit:
    1. VAT on the boat itself: EU = 20%, sometimes more, if you are unlucky, and come back to EU waters after 3 years, you can pay it TWICE(!)
    2. VAT on marina berths: Again, closer to 500+€/year for a basic 30'er
    3. VAT on every little overpriced boat junk/repairs/service
    4. Taxes on fuel
    5. Mandatory surveys in some jurisdictions (especially in the Med)
    6. Boat (wealth) tax, just for it's beauty in some jurisdictions
    7. Turist tax in some jurisdictions (e.g. Croatia)

I suspect a venerable 50k€ worth boat pays significantly higher taxes compared to its value than a 200k€ luxury car, I am not surprised that owners try to break free of at least a few items.
    Last edited by GTom; 23-01-18 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
    I suspect a venerable 50k€ worth boat pays significantly higher taxes compared to its value than a 200k€ luxury car,
    IA tax + VAT for a new imported luxury car in Portugal car can total up to 45%. A mate tried to put his €1k value Spanish reg. about 20 years old Merc on to Portuguese plates, they quoted over €3k tax!!!!!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567