Default Autopilot for small prout cat

Hi, I am looking for suggestions for a good autopilot for a prout sirocco with hydraulic steering. I am not a fan a wheel attached versions. It's time for an upgrade of plotter and instruments as well, ideally I would like all matched. Thanks in anticipation
    Last edited by cueball; 21-01-18 at 09:50.

Default Re: Autopilot for small prout cat

I used a standard raymarine wheel pilot on my quest. It worked OK except that the steering on the Prout was so low geared and the boats response was so sluggish, that at times the pilot got fed up of waiting and stopped trying. It helped when I put a bigger steering pump on and filled it with sae10 oil not the standards sae30

If the system allows a linear drive direct to rudder linkage, then go for that. Good backup for steering if hydraulics pack up. Our type 1 Raymarine has worked well now for many thousands of miles. Can't advise on controller as our ST5000 is now obsolete model.

Not sure you can fit a linear drive, I think a hydraulic pump would work but i have no experience of using them.

The Raymarine Type 1 and Jefa Linear drives are big old beasts... as I know from going through the process of fitting a below deck pilot on Gladys. The linear drives are near enough a meter at full extension, and to fit one on Gladys, I have had to mount the drive aligned fore and aft, and add an additional tiller on the rudder stock at right angles...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

I have a Teleflex autopilot motor drive in my garage (similar to Octopus etc. look on their website for the best explanation) the motor incorporates rudder feedback if you need that and can be remotely located anywhere, subject to the length of cable purchased, mine is 7' long. The ram is a simple tube with clamping arrangement on the end of the Teleflex cablea bout 1/2 meter long and can be mounted externally if necessary, it is compatible with any control system, Raymarine etc.
    It was purchased for a boat, fitted and tested but never used, the price is a fraction of what Octopus charge and would include full fitting instructions and back up.
    If you think it might meet your needs PM me, for more info.
    Simrad also market this kit under their trade name.
    Last edited by Quandary; 22-01-18 at 10:35.

Thank you Quandary, Now onto a control head and course computer!