Default MF755 Steering and Throttle Controls

I see trialled a MF755 yesterday with a Suzuki 150 ob. First time i have driven an outboard boat. Nice boat but i have 2 questions which i hope the Forum may be able to answer.

Firstly - the boat has hydraulic steering but i found the steering heavy, slow and far less responsive than my previous stern drive boats. I am wondering whether this is because with a stern drive I was only turning the leg, whereas with the outboard i was turning ( a heavier ) engine / leg .

Secondly - this was a 2014 boat with cable throttle control. I have seen a 2013 boat with fly by wire throttle. Perhaps fly by wire was an optional extra ; just seems a bit odd to me. [ I might actually prefer cable to - one less electronic part to go wrong ! ]

Thanks in advance for replies.

Default Re: MF755 Steering and Throttle Controls

Hi,

I own a Finnmaster 61CA which is fitted with a Honda 135 o/b and Seastar hydraulic steering, and I also find the steering to be a little heavy and less responsive at slow displacement speed, however, as soon as the boat is on the plane, the steering feels much lighter and is very responsive. As this is my first o/b powered boat, I haven't got anything to compare it with, so perhaps this is normal?

My Honda has cable throttle and gear control and, whilst it may not be a 'slick' as the new electronic controls, I prefer it as there's no electronic gadgetry to go wrong.

Good luck with whichever boat you end up purchasing!

Having helmed lots and lots of the above type boats. They should not feel heavy or slow
    Any air in the hydraulic system WILL give the feeling described

I think the hydraulic steering should feel light but not as light as power assisted steering

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    I think the hydraulic steering should feel light but not as light as power assisted steering
    Yes, good post well said Bouba