Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Annoying Leak.

Default Re: Annoying Leak.

if you cannot find what IS wrong, then use whatever processes you can to find out what is NOT. Basic fault finding is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Flica View Post
    Interesting that you feel compelled to send your raw waterpump away for replacement of seals and bearings (as it's as big a job to do one as the both on the two waterpumps I've had)
    With the frequency of leak, that the raw-water cooled Yanmar 2GM suffered with its Jabsco pump I got in the habit of carrying a spare pump. To take off the faceplate meant you had to dismount it!!
    The far superior Johnson pump on the 3YM goes much longer between replacement impellers (about 500-700 hrs), but I still have a spare pump.
    The only real problem is extracting the bearing, but I've found that if the impeller has gone, the seal is not far behind and the bearings go as soon as the seal leaks.
    Rather than buy the replacement pump as a Yanmar, I bought the bits from Johnson with a cost of about 20% (that included body and shaft) of the Yanmar derivative. On coming to the pressed steel pulley (an engineering miscarriage) I had to cough up more than the rest of the parts had cost.
    Though it now only takes about 90" to change impeller, (changing the water pump only involves two bolts, not 6 as does taking off the faceplate).
    I can then re build the pump, at my leisure, in stillness and using relevant tools such as a vice.
    Now I a interested in this Johnson pump and how to obtain one. I don’t have a 3 YM mine is a 3 GM and quite frustrating.
    It runs well enough but parts are expensive and Yanmar seem to keep a tight control on them.
    For me localy the difference in cost between a rebuilt water pump and a new one is quite significant. The awkward bit about getting a rebuilt pump is the shop wants the knakerd one first. So my plan is to remove when I haul out.

A problem I have had and no one has mentioned with the Perkins version,is the rubber end caps leak sea water into the heat exchanger and comes out the over flow pipe just under the 'radiator' cap,so check the jubilee clips on either end of the heat exchanger.Mine didnt leak at low revs but when revs increased it came pouring out.
    Leisure Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by peteK View Post
    A problem I have had and no one has mentioned with the Perkins version,is the rubber end caps leak sea water into the heat exchanger and comes out the over flow pipe just under the 'radiator' cap,so check the jubilee clips on either end of the heat exchanger.Mine didnt leak at low revs but when revs increased it came pouring out.
    The OP's MD2010 is similar.

The increase in "leakage" with increased revs would prompt me to check the exhaust injection point for restriction of flow. There really should not be such build up in pressure of the raw water that this will happen. least ways not to exceed the pressure of the coolant once up to running temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
    Now I a interested in this Johnson pump and how to obtain one. I don’t have a 3 YM mine is a 3 GM and quite frustrating.
    It runs well enough but parts are expensive and Yanmar seem to keep a tight control on them.
    For me localy the difference in cost between a rebuilt water pump and a new one is quite significant. The awkward bit about getting a rebuilt pump is the shop wants the knakerd one first. So my plan is to remove when I haul out.
    Unfortunately your 3GM probably has a Jabsco pump (my 2GM had one of those) - it's quite difficult to get anything from them at anything but full price. ASAP Supplies are usually a source of parts at a competitive price.
    Fortunately for me, I had in the past, done quite a bit with a Johnson Pump subsidiary, so was able to seek advice on how to get the parts economically in the UK, I just went through their parts dept - after being given a list of the part numbers in the pump. I note that a replacement raw water pump is now listed by Yanmar at over £300 - when I bought the pump parts, the body cost £24, the shaft £16 but Yanmar demanded nearly £70 for the pressed tin pulley.
    I must stress that, more than anything else it's E P Barrus' policy which keeps Yanmar parts prices so high in UK - for things like injection elbows it's cheaper to import from the US even paying the duties and VAT. However if you have a friend who doesn't mind putting it in his hold-luggage....
    You could swap pumps -

If you can't see (under) the pump when the engine is running (and do be careful when it is), can you wedge or tie a piece of dry cloth under the pump while the engine is stopped, run the engine for a bit then stop it, then remove the cloth to see if is soaked?
    LM27 - All the Scandi-noir heroes have one!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    If you can't see (under) the pump when the engine is running (and do be careful when it is), can you wedge or tie a piece of dry cloth under the pump while the engine is stopped, run the engine for a bit then stop it, then remove the cloth to see if is soaked?
    I have it on good authority (Tim at Malahide Boatyard) that blue paper washroom towels are excellent for indicating these kind of leaks.

I would agree with the earlier suggestion of a leak at the siphon break valve. They regularly leak and are a service item.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by david_bagshaw View Post
    I would agree with the earlier suggestion of a leak at the siphon break valve. They regularly leak and are a service item.
    Would be seriously worried if one leaked that amount of water - and would be immediately obvious given the position of the valve. I have had 4 such valves, two Vetus and 2 Volvo and never had a drop come out of any of them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345