Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Athens to Lefkada

Quote Originally Posted by Davy_S View Post
    If your flight timings don't work out and you need an overnight stay, try Peri's he will pick you up from the airport and take you to the hotel, there is a Taverna in walking distance from the Hotel. https://www.perishotelapt.gr
    +1 for Peris and BIG 1 for the Taverna, as well. Had a blast in there one cold wet winter night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cariadco View Post
    +1 for Peris and BIG 1 for the Taverna, as well. Had a blast in there one cold wet winter night.
    We have used Peris quite a few times, and the Taverna, we had to arrive a day early one year because of ferry strike, it was winter but sunny, we were killing time and walked all along the lanes past the Taverna to the seaside village, very pleasant, but in the cool evening it was nice to sit in front of the log burner in the Taverna, good food and Wine at a price that suited a cheapskate

Went to a wedding in Fiskardo, in 2016. Met the wife @ Venizelos @ 10:20, caught the X93 to Kiffousis St and were in the hotel in Levkadya for 17:20. Total cost for the two of us was €48.90, return €2.50 each way on the X93.
    Whilst I use a hire car getting to the boat in Nea Pyrgos, that only costs me €146.70 for a week's hire and pick up ATH drop off Oriei. Coach is cheap and takes about 6 hours.

First intro to Athens was 1959, it's slipped downhill badly since and isn't a place in which I linger - though I did spend a week in the marina in Alimos, being re-rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    Does anybody know anything about the option of getting a "city" train to Korinthos and a bus from there? I saw some information about it somewhere but couldn't get full info.
    There is a train between Athens and Patras (via Corinth) roughly every two hours. Journey time three hours. I've not done it myself though, only the bit from Patras to Aigio. There is certainly a direct bus from Patras to Preveza, and from Preveza to Levkas, but I don't think there is a direct service.

The Patras-Athens line was undergoing considerable renovation last year, so may be interrupted: you would need to check. Simpler is the direct bus service from Athens to Levkas about three times daily, takes six hours; but as you pointed out earlier, with 3+ people car hire would be cheaper.
    Last edited by AndrewB; 24-01-18 at 16:07.

What I was told is that instead of getting a bus into Athens you can get on the suburban train at the airport heading to Kiato. Korintos is 2 stops before Kiato and if you get off there it's a short taxi ride to Isthmia from which there is a regular bus service to Preveza. I was also told if you stay on the train you can get a bus from Kiato to Patras and onward to Levkas. Because there's going to be 3 of us and because we're going to have a lot of gear and we're arriving fairly late in Athens I've decided to bite the bullet and pay the one way car hire premium. Because of that I didn't fully research the suburban train + bus option but others may want to as it saves getting a bus into Athens central from the airport.

Also look at the Collision damage waiver on hire cars from the airport, where the un-insured excess amount can be as high as 3000euro.
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

We did the trip last November. I can recommend athens-carrrental.com new car and personal service. On the way to Corinth we stopped at the Cokkinis Hotel, not far short of Corinth. It was a filthy night and we were welcomed by a log fire and a very good restaurant. Nice family run place.

The hire car cost £146 for two weeks from Firefly based in the airport and their cars are a 150 meters just outside arrivals hall , there's loads of cheaper cars but they need a shuttle bus to and from airport and I just couldn't be bothered
    I paid £39 for annual car hire excess insurance just in case - .Just a point about the buses, a local told me the other day the bus companies are still working to the old timetable , Iv no idea if that's correct but being Greece ........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12