Default Charging Lead Acid Batteries and AGMs from the same charger ?

My new (to me) boat has a Cristec charger, with Exide EG1102 Lead Acid batteries for house and engine start, but also Exide AGMs for the bow thruster. I had heard that you need to use different settings on the charger for different battery types - is it an issue having a mix of battery types charged from the same charger?

Default Re: Charging Lead Acid Batteries and AGMs from the same charger ?

I changed from Lead Acid to AGM batteries some years ago, on my charger the settings were the same.

From memory agms have a slightly higher optimum charge voltage, but the charge voltage range for both lead acid and agm have some crossover. Again from memory, so don't take this as gospel, optimum is something like 14.7 for agm and 14.4 for wet cell, with a range of 14.1 to 14.6 for wet cell and 14.4 to 14.8 for agm. I have both on mine, albeit with a Dc/Dc charger in between the lead acid and bow agm and have had no problems
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
    My new (to me) boat has a Cristec charger, with Exide EG1102 Lead Acid batteries for house and engine start, but also Exide AGMs for the bow thruster. I had heard that you need to use different settings on the charger for different battery types - is it an issue having a mix of battery types charged from the same charger?
    My marine electricians told me yes i.e. you need to respect the differences and advised against mixing them in the same bank or using the same charger.