Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Corvettes

Default Three Corvettes

Three Corvettes by Nicholas Monsarrat. Stories from the North Atlantic Convoys. Whenever I'm inclined to feel sorry for myself or a wave of self indulgence coming on this cuts it off at the pass!! Great book.

Default Re: Three Corvettes

Enjoyable and on my bookshelf but lacking the sheer power of The Cruel Sea which I have read perhaps 5 times over the years
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Enjoyable and on my bookshelf but lacking the sheer power of The Cruel Sea which I have read perhaps 5 times over the years
    The Cruel Sea is an extraordinary book buy I did also enjoy HMS Ulyysses. Another good one is The Caine Mutiny which I think was the basis for A Few Good Men

I don't think Monserrat wrote a bad book, superb author and he was certainly qualified to write about life at sea during the war. If you've not already read it, give The Master Mariner a read; just superb and, IMO, his finest book. He died before he could finish Vol2.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Clanger View Post
    I don't think Monserrat wrote a bad book, superb author and he was certainly qualified to write about life at sea during the war. If you've not already read it, give The Master Mariner a read; just superb and, IMO, his finest book. He died before he could finish Vol2.
    I havent but I will now. Just bought it. Thanks!

+1
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonyx View Post
    I havent but I will now. Just bought it. Thanks!
    I'm excited for you! I remember the first time I read it, and was captivated from beginning to end. Do report back once you're in a few pages.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Three Corvettes by Nicholas Monsarrat. Stories from the North Atlantic Convoys. Whenever I'm inclined to feel sorry for myself or a wave of self indulgence coming on this cuts it off at the pass!! Great book.
    Superb book, totally memorable.

He wrote it in note form to get it out quick because he was (understandably) catering for the likelihood he wasn't going to survive for long. That alone gives it serious immediacy and credibility.

The Cruel Sea is an extraordinary book buy I did also enjoy HMS Ulyysses. Another good one is The Caine Mutiny which I think was the basis for A Few Good Men
    Agreed. I also think the film of "The Cruel Sea" was one of the finest films i have ever watched.

I'm excited for you! I remember the first time I read it, and was captivated from beginning to end. Do report back once you're in a few pages.
    will get to it after I finally finish Ranulph Fiennes book on Agincourt. Its very good but a bit like wading through a pool of treacle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast