Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Removing A Rusted In Thread

I get the feeling that you can only get at one end of the screw, but if both then I'd be tapping each end moderately hard with a light hammer axially to try and compress the rust/crud as well as break the stiction. (I prefer the acetone/thick oil mix because it's a better lubricant once it is actually in the joint).

I'm assuming what the OP calls "toggle screws" are the two screws that that clamp the revolving base. First few minutes of this video show one way of doing it. I think it's American so turn off your H&S and PPE radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLIeWvCR0OE

If the penetrating oil is running right through, you could try blocking one end with something that's easy to remove - Plasticine? Flood it and let it soak.

Edit to add: Patience! Don't rush it and break something.
    Last edited by penberth3; 24-01-18 at 15:53.

Eventually got it out using lots of heat and a steady pressure from a 2ft length of tube. It is probable that the toggles were too springy for me previously. Thanks for all advice.
    Spookily the video referenced by penberth3 is a Record 75 Vice just like mine and in similar condition. His gas torch looked rather better than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by C08 View Post
    Eventually got it out using lots of heat and a steady pressure from a 2ft length of tube. It is probable that the toggles were too springy for me previously. Thanks for all advice.
    Spookily the video referenced by penberth3 is a Record 75 Vice just like mine and in similar condition. His gas torch looked rather better than mine!
    Thanks for the update, well done!

I've also got a Record 75, unused at the moment and unrestored - you've inspired me to
    do something about it. I've also got a Record Imp - the little table-top vice which like the 75 also has an anvil, pipe jaws and a pipe bender. These obviously aren't suitable for the heaviest work but useful for odd jobs.

Next time another option is to soak it in Citric acid, you can get crystals from a home brew shop, just make a up a strong solution and leave it soaking for a week. I dissolved a broken off tap in 316 stainless, it doesn't touch the stainless but dissolved the tap.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

A good one and usually last resort is weld a nut on to it, the larger a nut you can get on it the more weld you can pool into it and get it glowing, gives you something to undo the bolt with and im your case could cut it off after

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12