Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gel v's AGM Batteries for House batteries

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    Rate of discharge is not the only issue. All lead acid batteries, whether open, gel or AGM, very much 'like' to be kept fully charged. Assuming a suitable charging regime, this is easy with dedicated starter, bowthruster and windlass batteries, since they're rarely, if ever, discharged by more than a few percent. Domestic banks, on the other hand, inevitably spend much of their lives in a partially-discharged condition which is harmful to them.
    Understood - We rarely go more than a couple of weeks without a full charge, and rarely below 80% in between using the genset as needed. Think the problem might have been when the boat went to SIBS and Dusseldorf shows they may have been discharged in the case of Dusseldorf for some time on the road journey back, and the original standard Hitachi alternator setup might have been part of the problem. Just occurred to me that Gels might have been more forgiving of these issues.... The history data in the system didn't indicate any abuse though, so I was a bit stumped - Of course it may have been just one faulty battery bringing down the bank.....

No sign of any issue yet with the new ones (1yr) yet but I admit to being a little nervous!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbican View Post
    Just occurred to me that Gels might have been more forgiving of these issues....
    I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plevier View Post
    I doubt it.
    Good - I'm glad you said that! Having replaced like for like on the basis of my limited understanding, I have been getting some feedback from an "expert" that AGM are the wrong battery for house banks, and I should have gone with gels or Lithium - I feel a little better now!

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by Barbican View Post
    I have been getting some feedback from an "expert" that AGM are the wrong battery for house banks, and I should have gone with gels or Lithium - I feel a little better now!
    Just as with flooded lead-acid, some AGM batteries are designed to be deep-cycle, some are not. Your 'expert' seems not to know this, and probably much else.
    Mac

I have three agms. Allfrom 2006. all were left go flat for a few years. all came back from the dead and served me well for two years afloat on a mooring with only ocassional charging with alternator, all were again left go flat in current yard but are more or less tricle charged on my new fancy charger for the last 6 Year? or so. will be using them again when I launch in end of March,, I think they must be like my CQR faulty...because the all work as I hope tather than as theories would suggest...

I think the real issue with batteries is the manufacturer rather then the tecnology to a certain extent...

I will be carrying a spare good starter battery with me when cruising and a pair of jump leads so I figure I will be fine even if the existing 13 year old abused yokes finally give up....

I will replace with the same AGMs again (two house leisure 105ah and one 130 engine start)
    HR352 for sale, see YBW Boats for Sale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12