Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Mercy

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Default Re: Mercy

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    He who fails against the odds goes down as foolhardy. He who succeeds is written up as a hero..
    I'm not sure that's universally so, especially in British culture: Gordon, Scott, Franklin, Dunkirk, etc, etc. (The latter perhaps does sustain two contradictory views.) Even the Americans aren't immune. Nor Greek mythology: along with many others, Hero herself came to a sticky end (having done nothing more heroic than light a lamp but extinguish her virginity for Leander). Surely the very ambiguity of heroism is what makes it so interesting for the rest of us?
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    Saw it this evening. There could be more suitable choices for Valentine’s Day. Like pretty much anything else. OK, don’t switch it for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Good luck with (to?) your girlfriend.
    Thanks, we both don't do cards and chocolates and she likes boats!

4 stars and a great review from the Mail on Sunday's film critic today. I don't think he's ever given 5 stars to anything so "The Mercy" could well be the best film out this year. Don't miss it!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    Thanks, we both don't do cards and chocolates and she likes boats!
    Well, yes. But it doesn't have a Hollywood 'feel good' ending... You might need to 'confort' her afterwoulds....

Two of my daughters went to watch it yesterday.
    Said it reminded them of me

I saw it on Saturday. I thought all the cast were brilliant, but if anything the film downplayed what must have been the reality. Crowhurst was hugely in trouble before he even took to the water, the stress he must have been under - knowing the boat and his preparations were nowhere near up to the job - doesn't bear thinking about. And he did sail to Argentina in a boat that nowadays would be considered underspecified for the Bristol Channel... unimaginable how much misery - soaking wet, scared, malnourished and sleep deprived - he must have been most of that time. And the film doesn't really convey the reality of being on a boat, most of the time it seemed comfortably at anchor...

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rover View Post
    I saw it on Saturday. I thought all the cast were brilliant, but if anything the film downplayed what must have been the reality. Crowhurst was hugely in trouble before he even took to the water, the stress he must have been under - knowing the boat and his preparations were nowhere near up to the job - doesn't bear thinking about. And he did sail to Argentina in a boat that nowadays would be considered underspecified for the Bristol Channel... unimaginable how much misery - soaking wet, scared, malnourished and sleep deprived - he must have been most of that time. And the film doesn't really convey the reality of being on a boat, most of the time it seemed comfortably at anchor...

Rob Rover, I couldn't have put it better myself +1

I saw it tonight. I thought it wasn't a sailing film as such, but a very, very good account of a nightmare for all of them.
    I did think the delays and problems getting the boat ready were under-represented, and the sail from boatyard to Teignmouth should have been included, I thought.
    So sad for Clare and the children, I hope their lives have recovered.

As an irrelevant aside, was Ken Stott in a 'fat suit' or has he really put on a huge amount of weight?
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

It's interesting that Crowhurst (who could sail) is portrayed as foolhardy, while Chay Blyth (who couldn't sail at all) is now a respected sailor.

Also, iirc Crowhurst's investor Stanley Best changed the conditions of his investment, putting Crowhurst in a very serious financial position if he decided not to go. It may be that in the world of financing Best's actions were considered normal and appropriate, but it left Crowhurst with the option of going in a boat that he knew was unsuitable with a high chance of never coming back, or facing financial ruin.

Ultimately it was Crowhurst's decision whether to go or not, but with a wife and four(?) children he must have felt he didn't have any choice at all. Of course, Crowhurst's wife and family would rather have had a bankrupt husband and father than none at all, but I often wonder if Best's conditions reduced Crowhursts options to none at all.

Crowhurst did manage to sail to Argentina in a boat that looked like it should never have left Teignmouth Back Beach, so I think he deserves a little bit of credit. I'll go and see the film, all it has to be is accurate, the story is tragic enough.
    Last edited by ronsurf; 13-02-18 at 15:47. Reason: Argentina or Brazil? Can't remember - it was somewhere in S. America!

I went to see the film this evening with my lawyer/sailor Son and we both thought it was excellent.

It made clear the pressure that Crowhurst was up against and the fact that he was a dreamer who was somewhat out-of-touch with reality.

We found the scene on the boat very realistic, the lines slapping, the winds howling and the waves crashing. The feeling of desperation when things go wrong in the darkness of the night which seem to recede when the sun rises over the horizon once again all seemed so familiar.

The film was extremely loyal to the real story and was basically a documentary without over-dramatisation.

If you have ever had any interest in Crowhurst, and as someone who managed to find his boat on Google Earth more than a decade ago, it was just as I imagined.

Richard

I saw it tonight and really liked it. I noticed that his boat had the same winches as mine
    Sad story but I think it was worth re-telling with a decent cast.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast