Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wanted - old, out-of-service liferaft

Hello, thanks for that. I'm afraid statistics don't work like that. A brand new liferaft is not 100% likely to work, probably more like 99.99%, but you certainly wouldn't say"It will either work or it won't" After 3 services, the chance is reduced slightly. Maybe 99%. Servicing it myself reduces the odds slightly more, but my risk assessment says that if the inflated raft is in perfect condition and holds pressure (I have measured it as no loss, at a pressure of 150 millibars, over 24 hours) and the relative humidity when packed is less than 55%, as it is in my sitting room and the gas cylinder is exactly on weight to within 0.1kg, then I am perfectly happy subjecting myself and my loved ones to the risk. I was exaggerating when I said 80%, more like 98%.
    But anyway, the post was putting the following point:
    Assume I will not buy a new one, assume that I cannot have it serviced "professionally" and assume I can do a near perfect job of a service. That's the basis.
    The philosophical question is: Do I put it on the boat or do I leave it in the shed? How would you answer that?

Well, that's an interesting point you make, and if we use your own style of statistical presentation, I think that I'd be happier with relying upon, by your own admission, a chance of a factory assembled liferaft offering 99.99% dependancy, rather than your home-serviced one you have tested in your own sitting room offering an unproven and, again by your own admission, certainly less dependable, older, non professionally serviced liferaft.
    The key word is 'liferaft'. This is your final hope, once you get to the stage of needing one, this is your last chance, there's nothing left.
    We don't have the statistic for failed life rafts, there is no-one left to interview and surely even fewer who had serviced their own.
    It alarms me and probably your family that you should be 'perfectly happy subjecting myself and my loved ones to the risk".
    It's their lives that count even if you are happy to chance yours.
    Don't buy cheap safety, buy the best that you and your loved ones deserve.

I work for NASA and I am well used to evaluating risk. If I considered the risk was unacceptable I would not subject anyone to it.

That's a very fine and defensive statement of your approach to the safety of others and, if it withstands the demands of actual survival, one that could be considered.
    When you are convinced that the RNLI, MCA and the coroner would approve of your approach being at least equal to the standards of professional liferaft servicing agents (of the standard of Ocean Safety et al) then when you put your liferaft on your boat, with your children aboard, you had better be prepared to answer for the consequences of being wrong.
    Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12