Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Bison Trolling Motor

I don't have an outboard. A combination of not wanting to keep it on the stern in the usual steal-me position and not wanting to store a petrol outboard down below. However rowing the rubber dinghy ashore isn't always fun and I'm always wary that conditions could worsen and make it difficult to get back.

I quite like the look of the Bison trolling motors and wonder if any user on the forum had any feedback on them. I did see a thread where someone had issues but he was running one without a trip switch. I'll either buy the Bison battery box or make my own so won't have that issue.

Im also interested in feedback on how powerful they are in practice. I'm half resigned to motor-assisted rowing so don't have huge expectations of the power compared to a petrol outboard.

Any experience of battery management issues would help too. How do you charge the battery for the motor?

Default Re: Bison Trolling Motor

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    I don't have an outboard. A combination of not wanting to keep it on the stern in the usual steal-me position and not wanting to store a petrol outboard down below. However rowing the rubber dinghy ashore isn't always fun and I'm always wary that conditions could worsen and make it difficult to get back.

I quite like the look of the Bison trolling motors and wonder if any user on the forum had any feedback on them. I did see a thread where someone had issues but he was running one without a trip switch. I'll either buy the Bison battery box or make my own so won't have that issue.

Im also interested in feedback on how powerful they are in practice. I'm half resigned to motor-assisted rowing so don't have huge expectations of the power compared to a petrol outboard.

Any experience of battery management issues would help too. How do you charge the battery for the motor?
    This has been discussed many times here and on PBO. The motor is designed for exactly what the name implies - a trolling motor for fisherman who normally have a big outboard to get to their fishing spot then switch to the trolling motor for slow speed work. Battery capacity is not problem because the outboard has charged the battery.

Can be used on a dinghy, but the problems are lack of power - much less than a small outboard and range. Plus having to cart a heavy battery around with you. Don't take too kindly to salt water either.

So, if your usage is in flat water over short distances and you don't mind the battery problem they have their uses. Just not practical for the type of usage of a dinghy on a cruising yacht. The only realistic electric power plant for this application is a Torqeedo.

You don't see many of either type. The Bison or similar because they are inadequate for the job (they have been on the market for over 30 years!) or the Torqeedo because of cost (twice the price of a petrol or propane outboard).

ISTR someone on here found the Bison OK for their purposes, maybe search for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Don't take too kindly to salt water either.
    Thanks. As I said, petrol outboard ruled out. I also ruled the Torqeedo out. Initial cost and a battery that is good for no more than 3 years before expensive replacement).

I'm happy to live with motor-assisted rowing as an improvement on rowing alone. Figures I've seen quoted for size and speed of fishing boat powered by one of them is more than I'd hope for my small rubber dinghy.

Interested in your comment on salt water. Are you able to expand on that?

I did contribute to that thread, still happy with mine.
    Power-wise, it seems my guess of about 1hp for the 63lb thrust model was in the ballpark, it certainly punts along 2 people in a 10' dinghy against wind and tide with no problems.
    It's not fast, maybe 2.5-3 knots when running against the elements? Certainly a great deal faster than I could row, anyway!
    As above though, they are heavy. I use an 85AH battery and with the weight of the motor as well, I reckon it's more than a 2.5hp 4 stroke. But, so much more convenient.

You'll find that people who haven't tried them generally say they're terrible and that people who have tried them say they are fine, with some limitations. I'm planning to get one for freshwater use on Loch Ken.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Interested in your comment on salt water. Are you able to expand on that?
    Lots of mild steel and cheap aluminium. Made for use on US inland lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    You'll find that people who haven't tried them generally say they're terrible and that people who have tried them say they are fine, with some limitations. I'm planning to get one for freshwater use on Loch Ken.
    Then, why in the last 30 years have so few people bought them? Usually if a product is satisfactory and cheap word tends to spread, but this product seems to be immune to that the process!

BTW we investigated trolling motors at Seagull with a view to marketing them as a complementary product. That is until we inspected and tried them. Little has changed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Then, why in the last 30 years have so few people bought them?
    Your source for the sales figures being ... ?

Almost every fishing boat I see on Loch Ken has a trolling motor.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Thanks. As I said, petrol outboard ruled out. I also ruled the Torqeedo out. Initial cost and a battery that is good for no more than 3 years before expensive replacement).
    Fair enough on price but we are about to go into our 5th season with Torqueedo and no battery problems yet pushing a heavy 3m rib usually on 1/2 mile trips. Torqueedo is the elegant and simplest solution needing no maintenance but at a real cost.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast