Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Any issues for Liveaboards based in Spain

Hi all,

My wife and I are full time liveaboards & currently wintering in Brittany. We plan to go to Galicia next season and stay there exploring the Rias for a couple of years. I’ve seen references to the Spanish matriculation tax and wondered if this was an issue that should affect our plans. Our boat is British registered and on the SSR. Or any other issues Liveaboards in Spain had come across?

Thanks in advance

Adam
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
    Live the life you have imagined

Default Re: Any issues for Liveaboards based in Spain

Quote Originally Posted by AB1707 View Post
    Hi all,

My wife and I are full time liveaboards & currently wintering in Brittany. We plan to go to Galicia next season and stay there exploring the Rias for a couple of years. I’ve seen references to the Spanish matriculation tax and wondered if this was an issue that should affect our plans. Our boat is British registered and on the SSR. Or any other issues Liveaboards in Spain had come across?

Thanks in advance

Adam
    Nothing to worry about provided you do not intend applying for residency, which you are required to do if you intend staying more than 180 days a year in Spain. Even then the matriculation tax is minor. Note the 180 days applies to persons, not the boat. Good summary of the situation on the RYA site.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Nothing to worry about provided you do not intend applying for residency, which you are required to do if you intend staying more than 180 days a year in Spain. Even then the matriculation tax is minor. Note the 180 days applies to persons, not the boat. Good summary of the situation on the RYA site.
    IIRC the issue is staying beyond 183 days, they then class you as resident which then opens the can of worms that is spanish residents paying luxury tax on their boat and having to abide by spanish regs on your boat. Im sure that Stew will come back with more detail, he is more patient than me!
    But I look at all the Spanish owned boats in Albufeira changing to Belgian reg a year or so ago to get around this.
    Also bear in mind that what we thought was security on our pontoon in LL every couple of hours checking and clipboarding, the girl in the office confessed that she has to do a report every day on who is there. Their computers are v good at tracking you and unlike Portugal are nationwide.
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    IIRC the issue is staying beyond 183 days, they then class you as resident which then opens the can of worms that is spanish residents paying luxury tax on their boat and having to abide by spanish regs on your boat. Im sure that Stew will come back with more detail, he is more patient than me!
    But I look at all the Spanish owned boats in Albufeira changing to Belgian reg a year or so ago to get around this.
    Also bear in mind that what we thought was security on our pontoon in LL every couple of hours checking and clipboarding, the girl in the office confessed that she has to do a report every day on who is there. Their computers are v good at tracking you and unlike Portugal are nationwide.
    Stu
    You are making it all too complicated and not reflecting the changes a few years ago. Yes, 183 days is the trigger point. So, if you want to take up residence there is matriculation tax to pay on your assets, but if you do it immediately there is a discount on the amount (which is based on a current value) so the actual amount payable is small. There is no need to put the boat on the Spanish register or to take any Spanish test.

If one is going down this road then there will likely be more issues than just a boat so legal advice in Spain is just about essential.

Although interesting for some, irrelevant for visitors passing through so long as they are aware of the time restriction. However, not sure there are rigorous checks to ensure the limit is observed.

Thank you Tranona and Steve. I currently plan on being there over 183 days. I have now contacted a Spanish lawyer to advise me on applying for the exemption when I arrive in Spain. Has anyone else done this and what extra problems does it create.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
    Live the life you have imagined

How would the Spanish know you’ve spent over 183 days in the country?
    You are not required to clear in or out, so in theory no records exist. The calendar is reset on 1st Jan each year, so if you’re a cruising yachtsman you’re very unlikely to have a problem.

If you come to the notice of the authorities they will simply ask you to prove you have NOT spend 183 days in their sunny country. Its your problem. Not theirs

Quote Originally Posted by JFowler View Post
    You are not required to clear in or out, so in theory no records exist. The calendar is reset on 1st Jan each year, so if you’re a cruising yachtsman you’re very unlikely to have a problem.
    ATM records, mobile phone bill.
    (((sometimes the best birth control is good lighting)))

Quote Originally Posted by JFowler View Post
    If you stay in marinas they pass your details to police, as do the Portuguese. Whether they bother to check up on people moving around I doubt but, if resident for well over 183 days in a marina, there could be problems.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamM376 View Post
    If you stay in marinas they pass your details to police, as do the Portuguese. Whether they bother to check up on people moving around I doubt but, if resident for well over 183 days in a marina, there could be problems.
    As I said, the girl in our marina told me her first job every day is to send details of boats and peeps in the marina to the authorities.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast