Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Antifouling!

Default Re: Antifouling!

Thanks porto, I had a feeling you would get megga technical but i get what you are saying and very informative for my tiny mind. But my question still stands and to keep it simple (for me), if you were to go for said boat what engine option would you go for taking into mind performance, servicing, re-sale etc. ? Is the M94 just as capable as the M96? I know they are different engines but would it make a huge difference with the above questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post

So that leads us back to MrB,s Q and the in broker speak “ desirable larger engine option “
    ok just re-read, bigger is better.

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    ok just re-read, bigger is better.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Yes

On another fred drift, the new Ferrari Portofino looks nice lol

my question still stands and to keep it simple (for me), if you were to go for said boat what engine option would you go for taking into mind performance, servicing, re-sale etc. ?
    Is the M94 just as capable as the M96?
    If you're interested in an MTU M94/6 powered boat, you shouldn't ask: just buy the one whose interiors your wife likes better.
    What can possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    If you're interested in an MTU M94/6 powered boat, you shouldn't ask: just buy the one whose interiors your wife likes better.
    What can possibly go wrong?
    I'm unnecessarily practical so need every bit of information available.My questions were hypothetical anyway

Although it’s not what you asked
    Which one to avoid ? ( of those MTU )

V10 ,s are notoriously difficult balance . Given a choise in this case another reason to go for the V12

The MAN 820 Hp V10 from the 90,s was the one that the phase “ mangrenade “originated from .
    Took them a while to shake that off .Revamped the crank damper s , they had a bit of bother with the V12 1050 Hp at the same time ,not as bad as the V10— BART of this parish knows a bit more .

V10 quietly dropped a few years back and in the rest of the range finally - crank dampers that work .

Don,t know how MTU damp there V10,s May be they have squared that circle ,but they used to share the same blocks as MAN - up to very recently cast in the same German factory
    Nowadays one of them ( sorry forgot which ) - has spat the dummy out and gone off to source blocks else where .

They will be the same size and modular as each makes its own internals like cranks / pistons / con rods - etc , so the one that’s moved has to redo the blocks to same dims to fit the exsisting internals made in other plants .

On another fred drift, the new Ferrari Portofino looks nice lol
    Yes it does , they all look nice
    Picked out this from skimming the blurb

“Ferrari’s engineers have designed a new one-piece exhaust manifold. “

They’ve got past form there .
    When they went to fully honeycomb Ally Floor pan chassis in 1999 with the 360 , it was designed for a new V8 of 3.6 L .
    A record ( still held I think ) of displacement/ L / Hp .
    It had a 5 valve head and Uber light weight titanium internals red line is around 9000 rpm .
    Critics rounded in on the pay off for all that F1 style super responsive revs ——- the lack of low down torque

Pararell to this for the Maserati line they knock up a 4.3 L V8 ( not the same block bored out ) , Cheaper internals lower revere etc more tractile , more torque lower down , more road friendly less F1 screamer back to a conventional 4 valve head .

It was a bit wider physically .Seen how wide Massers are ?
    Any how in the 430 circa 2005 , they shoehorned this more tractile engine in .
    Same floor pan wider engine - mid mounted —- hmm.
    So to get the exhaust manifolds to fit they tightened up the bends —- result — cracked manifolds a common problem .
    Huge redevelopment issues , initially a denial phase , then after market - Americans call them “ headers “
    Eventually some time later a factory fix .btw £5 K a pair + labour
    Next modal,in 2010 the 458; bigger engine this time sorted manifold kinda — they were too close to the inner wheel arches cos an even bigger engine fitted - result a spate of fires in the 2010 launch year .The glue somewhere under the linner exceeded its flash point .

488 is a mid engine and the engine was designed for this .Complety new smaller 3.9 twin turbo , to comply with the emission 8hit .Burns better/ cleaner with a turbo apparently.

So here we are shoe horning this with its red hot turbos into a front engined chassis , I had a look at the W , not that wide and remember it will have fat front wheels .

No wonder they have said

“Ferrari’s engineers have designed a new one-piece exhaust manifold.”:

Well good luck with that guys
    Last edited by Portofino; 15-02-18 at 00:18.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678