Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Antifouling!

Default Re: Antifouling!

Pete - Roberto is pretty reliable and as said, is an International dealer. He also races a boat with a rag and stick, so knows his stuff. Certainly worth giving 350 a try I reckon. In my experience, most AF's will work pretty well on hulls in SCM. I must say I was impressed with M77 though. Lifts are excellent value so I would not waste money on the props. Rain check on the beers!
    PRINCESS 45

We tried white Velox on our props, which they supplied FoC for us to trial, be interesting to hear how well the black works, albeit on a slightly larger boat
    PRINCESS 45

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Hi John,

Sadly, International don't seem to make 77 any more and Asnau recommend 350 which I believe replaces it. Keeping props clean is a bit of a pain (as you say, they can be easily reached from the BP) but we do take advantage of the cheap lifts to get the leg and props done. We'll be back out in SCM in Oct but probably before you. It would be good to meet up as I definitely owe you some beers for your kind help last October.

Pete
    M99 replaces M77. It's the "pro" product, but looking at the data sheets 350 seems similar (even if "amateur" use) so maybe we're splitting hairs. though I suspect m99 is more potent. Good going choosing a soft/eroding

On the props/velox I will try to dive and photograph this coming weekend to see how it's doing
    Last edited by jfm; 21-08-18 at 22:17.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    M99 replaces M77. It's the "pro" product, but looking at the data sheets 350 seems similar (even if "amateur" use) so maybe we're splitting hairs. though I suspect m99 is more potent. Good going choosing a soft/eroding

On the props/velox I will try to dive and photograph this coming weekend to see how it's doing
    The pro classification might have something to see with the fact that M99 is mostly recommended for airless spray application, I suppose.
    By supporting eroding a/f, you mean as opposed to the traditional hard one? Because if you include CC in the comparison, I beg to differ.
    Actually, my experience is way too short to declare myself a full flagged CC fanboy, but as far as I can tell so far, it's impossible to think of a reason to use anything else. Aesthetic aside maybe, but imho life is too short to bother about a couple of inches of weird color above the w/l.

Ref. u/w gear, I always used Velox Plus on the old boat, with somewhat inconsistent results - also considering that her props were spinning (and pushing) nowhere near any P boat.
    On the DP, I accepted the Trilux 33 recommendation from the N Adriatic yard before starting the delivery trip (3 hands, above the Adherpox primer used on bare metal). During the trip, I already spotted some parts which were beginning to peel, but I didn't re-check the situation after almost 1200Nm. Will do on the next occasion.

So just go a price on M99 and M350.

Apparently the 99 has biocide in it which 350 does not.

it is expensive! 99 is £1000 + vat for 20 litres. 350 is £860 plus vat.

In Mallorca I can get 30 litres ( seems what i need for 3 coats ) for E1500 + IVA ( ie about the same as uk).

This seems alot compared to others. As long as it works then of course it lasts for 2 years .... current anti foul is Sea Jet ( it was available !) and it failed totally really within 12 months. I was done in Aug 2017 and I got a diver to clean it which to be honest was a mistake - should have lifted.

Any compromise suggestions or just smile and pay the man?!

That's a lot of dosh Jeremy. Well done for getting a quote for 99, my guy just kept dodging the issue when I asked him to quote for it (said it was for Superyachts and wouldn't last two years). I gave up in the end and went for M350. I suspect he's only put two coats on (I hadn't realised two year protection required three coats) so I'll be interested to see how long it lasts.

Had to have the boat lifted last week for the drive cables to be changed, new anodes to see us through to the spring (last done in Sept) and also to check the drive oil and bellows.

As a reminder, in September we had two coats of blue self eroding Micron 350 A/F applied on top of white Hemple Racing. That was followed by a 150mile cruise from SCM to Altea. The boat was then unused for 6 months until trips out in May and Ibiza and back in June (160 miles). It's had no lifts / scrubs or anything like that since the paint was applied. Boat is in the Med in what is regarded as the cleanest marina in the Costa Blanca (no fishing boats).

The guys who lifted the boat recommended that the hull was done again but I declined as we'll be using the boat quite a bit now until the end of the season in October and there shouldn't be too much more build up. The guys were also very reluctant to pressure wash the hull as they said that it would strip the current A/F paint off. As the drives were being worked on they have been re-done.

What do you think?

I never jet wash my hull unless I want to strip the AF off. Good call. However a good wipe down with a stiff bristle broom would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    The guys who lifted the boat recommended that the hull was done again but I declined as we'll be using the boat quite a bit now until the end of the season in October and there shouldn't be too much more build up. The guys were also very reluctant to pressure wash the hull as they said that it would strip the current A/F paint off. As the drives were being worked on they have been re-done.

What do you think?
    If it was me, I'd be pleased about the lack of fouling on the sterngear but not so pleased about the hull fouling. You would expect some hull fouling in areas exposed to sunlight but the fouling under the hull is a bit disappointing

FWIW, since I started boating in the Med I have always used whatever AF paint the locals recommend (without even knowing what it is sometimes) and have never experienced serious hull fouling. Of course sterngear fouling is a very different matter

I'm surprised the yard are recommending not to pressure wash the hull. Surely they can give it a light wash at a lower pressure just to get the worst of the fouling off?

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I'm surprised the yard are recommending not to pressure wash the hull. Surely they can give it a light wash at a lower pressure just to get the worst of the fouling off?
    Agree,
    We always lift/antifoul in may or in june, right before the season, A few years ago we did a “soft” pressure wash in februari for doing a engine test / sea trial. Actually we didn’t do any other lift nor new antifouling that season, the old antifoul survived the soft wash, and was good enough for the whole summer.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast