Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Antifouling!

Default Re: Antifouling!

If you find a AF for drives that works for barnacles / shellfish please scream it from the rooftops!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    If you find a AF for drives that works for barnacles / shellfish please scream it from the rooftops!
    In my experience, Velox Plus from Marlin Yacht Paints does work pretty well. If you can make it stick, that is.
    In fact, I believe that part or the reason why it worked very well on all the u/w gear in my previous boat (props included) is her speed - i.e. lack of.
    Actually, my yard told me that it's pretty decent also on P boats, but no first have experience (yet).
    Mikef, do you possibly remember how did your boat fare with that during your time in CF? Pretty sure they used the same stuff.
    Besides, I half remember that someone in SCM (Whiteligher?) was thinking to try some silicone-based foul release paint on the metal bits.
    I'd be curious to hear about that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    In my experience, Velox Plus from Marlin Yacht Paints does work pretty well. If you can make it stick, that is.
    In fact, I believe that part or the reason why it worked very well on all the u/w gear in my previous boat (props included) is her speed - i.e. lack of.
    Actually, my yard told me that it's pretty decent also on P boats, but no first have experience (yet).
    Mikef, do you possibly remember how did your boat fare with that during your time in CF? Pretty sure they used the same stuff.
    Besides, I half remember that someone in SCM (Whiteligher?) was thinking to try some silicone-based foul release paint on the metal bits.
    I'd be curious to hear about that, too.
    Hi MapisM, the US parent company of Aquamarine who made the silicon foul release products went bust recently and took all their subsidiaries with them so you can no longer buy any of the Aquamarine products. A shame as it's one less option and the Propcote stuff looked promising.

Thank you. I will try that. I see I will have to remove all other paint first and prime the drive. It may have to be at the end of the season when the drives next come off.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Mike, aside from gathering other info that people might be interested in, I'm keen to establish it there's an eroding A/F that will last me for two years (I remember being told that eroding A/F was no good for fast boats when I had my old Targa). Also, whether mid season pressure washing should be avoided with a self eroding A/F as the yard guys seem to be suggesting this be avoided.

I also need a much better solution for the drives than I have at present or I accept that fact that the boat will need a £100 lift and scrub every few months of on use).

As you say, local knowledge is valuable too (although a yard may not recommend a paint that will last two seasons if it will do them out of work).
    Pete, until this season I have used Hemel Tiger Extra eroding a/f. I understand this to work up to mid 20ís kn. While Rafiki is quite capable of high 20ís, I very seldom take her there, being happy to cruise at 18-20 kn or potter at 8-10, depending on my need for speed, or tide and timing issues. Eroding means slightly less build up over time. Others have advocated 2 years between coats, but I have been more comfortable with the annual coating. This is all off now, and Rafiki has a clean pallet for the CC to be applied.
    I use the TK sterngear spray on a/f. I canít really say this has any value other than making me think I am at least trying. In the warmer months, tube worm can be a real problem, and this has to be scraped off. Can cost me 10kn in speed, and a really dirty transom!

Pete, the chap that anti-fouled your T34 whilst ashore at Hythe last summer was Nick Webb (http://nickwebb.eu/) - worth a message I'd say as chances are he might remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorset Dan View Post
    Pete, the chap that anti-fouled your T34 whilst ashore at Hythe last summer was Nick Webb (http://nickwebb.eu/) - worth a message I'd say as chances are he might remember.
    Hi Dan, I've actually just heard back from James Dickens and he confirms (via Nick) that it was Hempel Hard Racing. Questions is, will that last two seasons?

Hi Dan, I've actually just heard back from James Dickens and he confirms (via Nick) that it was Hempel Hard Racing. Questions is, will that last two seasons?
    Given that a lift in SC is so cheap, and actually doing the antifoul is so quick - you could just not bother until it is obviously not working (ie when after a 30 knot blast round the bay, the hull is still fouled) and then you'd have your answer.

And if it is only £100 a lift at SC then for the outdrives, I'd be lifting and pressure-washing the outdrives (only) every time I was coming down to actually take the boat out somewhere.

Just adding to Jimmy's point - I agree.

But........

About 2 years ago, the main pressure washer at SC broke down.
    They had money in the budget for a new one so the upgraded the whole system.
    The result is that we have a VERY powerful pressure washer which could wash off any soft antifoul within the season (CC doesn't wash off!! )
    The advantage is that it does get the barnacles off quickly ans leaves you with a very nice clean boat.

But, taking Jimmy's point, if you are happy that the a/f is still there and working, why not see how it goes this season and pay the £100 every now and then to wash off.
    It is always nice to swim with a clean boat anyway.
    The lift charge would be recovered in fuel alone.
    Over the last 6 or 7 seasons, I've been using that concept with the props anyway.

Thats the way I look at it.

I believe that some people instruct the marina to lift and wash their boats before they arrive.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 12-02-18 at 20:23.

Mike, aside from gathering other info that people might be interested in, I'm keen to establish it there's an eroding A/F that will last me for two years (I remember being told that eroding A/F was no good for fast boats when I had my old Targa). Also, whether mid season pressure washing should be avoided with a self eroding A/F as the yard guys seem to be suggesting this be avoided.
    Pete, I did go 2 seasons in Majorca and I believe the yard used a Titan Yate eroding antifoul. Sorry can't give you the exact paint code. Surely your best bet is to ask around in SC because the locals always know what works best in their neighbourhood

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast