Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 142

Thread: Antifouling!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rąpita
    Posts
    6,975

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Pete, I did go 2 seasons in Majorca and I believe the yard used a Titan Yate eroding antifoul. Sorry can't give you the exact paint code. Surely your best bet is to ask around in SC because the locals always know what works best in their neighbourhood
    Most boats in SC are using Micron 77 - now Micron 88 (or was it 99)
    The local "go to man" is an International agent so he tends to use Micron xx (or whatever it is called these days)
    I know friends who have used Micron Extra (I think it is now called Micron Extra 2)
    However, IMO, any antifoul works as long as you can get it to stick.
    Of course, generally speaking, it will stick to the hull well - my comment about sticking is that NOTHING sticks to Props!!!!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,491

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Most boats in SC are using Micron 77 - now Micron 88 (or was it 99)
    The local "go to man" is an International agent so he tends to use Micron xx (or whatever it is called these days)
    I know friends who have used Micron Extra (I think it is now called Micron Extra 2)
    However, IMO, any antifoul works as long as you can get it to stick.
    Of course, generally speaking, it will stick to the hull well - my comment about sticking is that NOTHING sticks to Props!!!!
    Thanks JtB and Mike. I believe JFM uses Micron 99 and gets two season out of it. So I think my approach will be to wait until the current paint stops working then get Micron 99 painted on. I assume that after two seasons a wash with the SCM jet wash (if we're still there) will remove most of it thus preventing build up.

    Thinking about it, rather then rub down and put A/f on the dive it does make sense just to lift and scrub the drives only.

    Sorted!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    55,192

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Mikef, do you possibly remember how did your boat fare with that during your time in CF? Pretty sure they used the same stuff.
    Besides, I half remember that someone in SCM (Whiteligher?) was thinking to try some silicone-based foul release paint on the metal bits.
    I'd be curious to hear about that, too.
    It stuck to the props but I'm not sure it worked too well in terms of stopping fouling. This is the boat being lifted last winter in France after the paint was applied the previous winter in CF

    IMHO it would be difficult to assess the performance of any kind of antifoul paint in CF because, compared to many other Med locations, the water is very clean and not polluted with agricultural fertilizers and human waste.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rąpita
    Posts
    6,975

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Thanks JtB and Mike. I believe JFM uses Micron 99 and gets two season out of it. So I think my approach will be to wait until the current paint stops working then get Micron 99 painted on. I assume that after two seasons a wash with the SCM jet wash (if we're still there) will remove most of it thus preventing build up.

    Thinking about it, rather then rub down and put A/f on the dive it does make sense just to lift and scrub the drives only.

    Sorted!
    Robert (Roberto) is your man - he is the International agent as well.
    However, he will push you to paint every season - best to remain assertive and make your own mind up.
    But the pressure washer will wash lots off each time.
    As I say, most (if not all) antifouls will well work in SC - as long as the af is there it works.
    What we need is something for the props.

    Regarding your props and stern drives, you will have seen previous posts of mine where I've given up trying to coat them.
    I just pressure wash, then acid wash and then (if the boat is blocked off) polish them.
    I've posted this before but these are the results

    Polish during block off



    And a mid season pressure and acid wash


  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,491

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Thanks Mike, as per my post, if I go for a self eroding A/F for the hull then I would avoid jet washing this and just get the drives and props pressure washed.

    As you know, lots of folk 'bag' the drives but that doesn't seem terribly easy to me (props would be easy to do though). I'm not sure if growth on the upper part of the drive (that is behind the stern) would have much impact on performance.

    I guess it's a case of listening to advice and seeing what works best for us.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17,610

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I've posted this before but these are the results
    ...
    M, am I alone in seeing two identical pics...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17,610

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    It stuck to the props but I'm not sure it worked too well in terms of stopping fouling. This is the boat being lifted last winter in France after the paint was applied the previous winter in CF
    Mmm... That's indeed weird.
    IIRC, during the delivery trip from CF to PV, both the hull and the u/w gear were MUCH cleaner than that.
    So, either the a/f wasn't working equally well once you reached SoF waters, or as you say the marine growth is much worse there than in CF.
    What products are you using now, and do you find the boat in similar conditions after a similar timeframe spent entirely in SoF?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    55,192

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Mmm... That's indeed weird.
    IIRC, during the delivery trip from CF to PV, both the hull and the u/w gear were MUCH cleaner than that.
    So, either the a/f wasn't working equally well once you reached SoF waters, or as you say the marine growth is much worse there than in CF.
    What products are you using now, and do you find the boat in similar conditions after a similar timeframe spent entirely in SoF?
    Your memory is better than mine then! What I do remember though was she got quite fouled whilst she was berthed in La Spezia so that is possibly where some of the fouling comes from. For sure though both hull and sterngear fouling is worse in PV than CF but nowhere I've been in the Med has been quite as bad as Palma for sterngear fouling. Sorry, again I have no idea what antifoul paint is on her now. As I say I'm far more concerned about keeping the sterngear clean than the hull

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    418

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    As Copper Coat antifouling seems to be the topic of the week, to prevent further drift on those threads I thought I'd create a new one on the more general topic of anti fouling.

    Unfortunately I don't know what type of A/F is on my boat as it was applied prior to us buying the boat. What I do know is that it seems to be coping well with the harsh fouling that we get in SCM. After 3 months in the water with no use, there was nothing more than a bit of slime on the hull. However the outdrives and props were covered with growth. As we didn't know what type of A/F was on the hull and considering its clean condition we didn't jet wash it to remove the slime. I assume this slime will have minimal impact on performance?

    Anyhow, reading some posts on this topic I would like to get two years out of a coating. Not necessarily because of the cost but to prevent A/F build up (A/F was stripped back a few years ago and the hull is still in great shape). For the same reason, I would prefer an eroding A/F over a hard one.

    Once I find out what's on my boat I will decide whether to put another coat on this year. I will definitely need to do something with the legs as whatever is on them isn't working at all. I'll probably bag the props between visits (easy to do).

    So my question to others is...

    1) Is your cruising fast (planing) or slow (displacement)? Fast...ish. Around 18knts apart from in and out the harbour obviously

    2) Where is your boat kept? Dover

    3) How many hours a year do you use the boat? 50ish

    4) What A/F do you currently use on the hull (hard/soft/make/type)? Last year I put on hemple hard racing. This year I am going to try hempel Tigre extra self eroding after doing a bit of research. I don't want to keep putting hard on top of hard and end up eventually having to scrape it all off

    5) What A/F do you use on your outdrives / stern gear? Last year it was just the Volvo stuff which was rubbish and didn't work at all. Definitely looking for recommendations this year.

    6) Are you in intending to change to another brand / type? Not at the moment happy with Hempel

    7) Have you had any bad experiences with other brands? No

    8) What maintenance regime do you have for the A/F (scrubs/coating frequency)? I would clean the props and tabs off with a brush and jet wash a number of times during the year in the marina. Other than that I anti foul during the annual haul out and leave another year.

    With any luck, we'll get some interesting answers.

    Answers above ,photo attached IMG_0313.PNG

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rąpita
    Posts
    6,975

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    M, am I alone in seeing two identical pics...
    Please try again.
    It is my own server serving the images and as a shortcut, I've written a script that resizes the images "on the fly".
    As a result, the process can suffer from buffering.
    Press Control and F5 to force a full refresh - that might fix it.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to