Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Antifouling!

Default Re: Antifouling!

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    It’s this important imho detail PeteM needs a strategy to deal with , even say a 3 week gap between visits in the season .
    You can,t keep realistically and ball achingly keep organising the “ free “ lift or what ever @ SCM amongst the 3 syndicate members .
    You know take a flyer arrive late Fri Pm , then have to wait until Monday , if it’s not a Sp Bank hole or the lift operator is “ off “ or the lift is having “ maintenance “
    Long W/E - home Tue etc ——- canning those KAD ,s with fouled props = big bills arriving any time soon !

It’s either hire a diver
    Or somebody’s gotta hand clean them .
    Porto, the boat seems to be OK for a few weeks between visits and if the props had some light fouling on them then I think it could be quickly removed with a brillo pad from the bathing platform. I doubt that a bit of fouling on the upper section of the leg would be that critical.

Transom which is presumably in a lot of shade should look a lot cleaner , no worm casts ( or what ever they are ? ) - just slime at the most .If it’s been parked up a few months prior to its annual lift ?

@ least JMF has a pic of the product allegedly put on which tally’s with his instructions, and presume reconcile s with any invoice —— if he wasn’t there personally to oversee the job .
    Difference between my boat and jmf's boat is that his has a hi/lo platform and mine doesnt so transom on my boat comes almost to the aft end of the bathing platform and is more exposed to light. Also the way my boat is parked the transom faces SE so it gets a lot of sunlight and that makes it an ideal cultivation patch for fouling

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Beware, that's usually a symptom of some degree of cavitation. Look out for tipping in that area.
    Yes I realise it’s the energy released from micro * vapourisation of the water that’s blasts off the accretions .
    Question is is it planned / controlled / calculated / harmful ?
    As of yet no visible harm being done to the metal

While we are on the subject , just curious about your comment on Hurricanes props .
    Big subject , can end up a cat skinning excerise

Hurricanes are 5 blades in a heavey slow planing boat but with high torque v12,s
    I note the leaves seem to overlap and appear high pitch .

As speed of the vessel through the water increases ,it’s my understanding that there becomes a point that the actual number of leaves start to create drag .
    Talking fully submerged not surface piecing .
    So as you go faster you want fewer leaves .
    The overlap too , great for using low down torque at slow speeds to use max fwd thrust effect , but once above said speed the overlap creates drag too .Too much metal now getting in the way of the flow basically.

So it depends on the intended use - as always
    Mine are high pitch ( can be a pita manoeuvring) ,cos high torque engines , a FL Targa 47 has a lot smaller engines for eg
    4 blades — I think there’s a better chance / ease of balancing a 4 over a 5 in theory! Practice may be different?
    And a smaller overlap in fact no overlap at all of the leaves so minimise drag - let water pass through over a certain through the water speed .

So really I think every prop , different as they are , are matched to the boats ,
    Put Hurricanes, “ best prop seen so far “ shape on my boat correctly sized dia wise ( not the exact same ) or put suitable more performances oriented like mine ( again suitable dia ) and I think they will produce adverse results .

Aimho
    Last edited by Portofino; 14-02-18 at 11:43.

Ignoring aesthetics (comments for which are always welcome!), I note that M99 also comes in white (whereas M77 is not available in white). The boat currently has white and my inclination is to go white again. I've never been keen on blue (particularly not royal blue) but I would consider grey.

However, I wonder that consequences would be of applying a grey eroding A/F on top of a hard white A/F. Would the white start to show through and is this a bad thing (cosmetically) or good thing (indicates that its getting thin / patchy)?

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Porto, the boat seems to be OK for a few weeks between visits and if the props had some light fouling on them then I think it could be quickly removed with a brillo pad from the bathing platform. I doubt that a bit of fouling on the upper section of the leg would be that critical.
    Just the props Pete ,
    Wait until the water warms up and the sun is full strength for the critters ,they thrive .
    Just passing on experience.

Ignoring aesthetics (comments for which are always welcome!), I note that M99 also comes in white (whereas M77 is not available in white). The boat currently has white and my inclination is to go white again. I've never been keen on blue (particularly not royal blue) but I would consider grey.

However, I wonder that consequences would be of applying a grey eroding A/F on top of a hard white A/F. Would the white start to show through and is this a bad thing (cosmetically) or good thing (indicates that its getting thin / patchy)?
    Black works best .
    This is what the all professional s tell me and advise .
    It’s does,t really matter why .
    Tried white on the SS , against advice , went to blue , better , ended up with an inevitability with black .

Welcome to the Med AF club

You're over worrying!
    But white is no good unless it is eroding. It looks crummy in drone photos when you're planing because it goes greeny/slimey
    I agree w Porto: black looks best
    Last edited by jfm; 14-02-18 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    But white is no good unless it is eroding. It looks crummy in drone shots when you're planning because it goes greeny/slimey
    Good point!

if he wasn’t there personally to oversee the job .
    I was there. Wouldn't miss an opportunity to spend a day in a boat yard (me in boatyard =as happy as pig in sh!t )

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    What a/f did you have on those props, none at all, as I understand?
    And if so, how long did it take to get to those conditions?
    Yup, none at all. That pic is my springtime lift out, maybe April, after a year in the water and after a winter when the boat goes to sea once a month for "exercise" when the sun is out, but doesn't do a lot of time/miles underway, so the barnacles have good opportunity to grow. The yard I use sprays hydrochloric acid and then a strong jet wash, and it all comes off easily

BTW I also do not antifoul the inox H+B hilo platform lift mechanism

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast