Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Antifouling!

Default Re: Antifouling!

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    props of your boat (whose shape btw I can't for the life of me remember)—-/—— D
    Here you are - different

https://imgur.com/a/Kle6R

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Here you are - different

https://imgur.com/a/Kle6R
    Props look fine to me. you have to assume builder tested plenty on hull #1. The trailing edge of rudders and non recessed P bracket feet look draggy on such a fast boat. I'd want them faired.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Not wanting to pour ammonia on your parade
    Coments on this anybody?
    https://forums.cat.com/t5/Engine-Roo...ats/td-p/72727
    Interesting stuff. Would be nice to know whether they are the 1800/1925hp version and the hours logged/usage. Nothing is perfect it appears. To be fair, if you google c32 problems you find nothing other than this but it is food for thought. I tend to run mine taking about <1200hp out of each of them, if not pootling @ say 200hp, so I feel ok!
    The last poster captJason is running the 1800s in a 90 foot sunseeker so they are worked hard. You might prefer anyway to discount his comments because he is clueless enough to think that the C32's separate rocker covers mean it has separate (>2) cylinder heads. It doesn't - there is one cyl head per side, as you can see at 0:28 in this nice little speeded up rebuild video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrrUQDYA8-U
    Last edited by jfm; 14-02-18 at 16:53.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    You might prefer anyway to discount his comments because he is clueless enough to think that the C32's separate rocker covers mean it has separate (>2) cylinder heads.
    It doesn't - there is one cyl head per side
    I did notice that comment, but I understood his sentence "cracks happening in 3 of the heads between the valves" as actually meaning "cracks happening between the valves, in 3 out of 4 heads in total (2 engines)"

I did notice that comment, but I understood his sentence "cracks happening in 3 of the heads between the valves" as actually meaning "cracks happening between the valves, in 3 out of 4 heads in total (2 engines)"
    Yes fair enough. I owe Cap Jason an apologetic beer

Yeh that’s how I read it in his sunny 90.
    Plus he mentions two other boats ,but does not specify what they are .

The telling Q is the guy enquiring about the serial numbers —— presume to see they are near each other indicating a batch , which in my mind would be a better than a random distribution, in a Russian roulette / pot luck kinda way .

We don,t know the only common denominator is big sunny s .
    Speculating as I think JFM infers maybe the 1900hp variant in a bigger and heavier boat its tending to be near the upper limit of its comfort zone , and easily gets abused - inadvertently of course.
    Of course if 10 y old and thrashed for 3000 hrs then that’s different .
    But I get the feeling that’s not the case ,as they seem to be acusing CAT of not recognising the issue .

A big 90 ft out and out planer is an awkward size in the leisure boat market ,
    The magic 30 + knots needs to spring up in the sales blurb on one hand then on the other the old accommodation dilemma - pinching ER space so you can,t fit in MTU v16 2200/2400 - as well as extra £

I think JFM,s engines would have gone by now if affected .

I read somewhere CAT ,s run hot .There EGT,s are @ the upper end in normal running compared to others .
    So,s there not as much headroom for anything that impairs the cooling .

Early last summer there was guy on here after a Porto53 in the SoF , I sat down in the SS dealers office and asked the broker “,which is least hassle as a used prospect “ - the D12 C12 ?
    He said the MAN are the better ( limited upgrade spec ) then the D12 .
    The fomulite and me enquired about the CAT version on brokerage , While sat in the office looking at the D12 version , floating out side .
    Broker said the C12 ,s out with the owner ,
    When’s it coming back I asked for viewing
    Broker said — it’s got a cracked exhaust , stuck in Corsica.

Irony is SS we’re having to fund the repair as it was in there “ used approved guaranteed scheme “

Sorry for the thread drift Pete .
    Keep the props clean

I know it's a fred drift but as we are talking engines on the exact topic and if an engine is at it's upper limit for a certain boat may i ask a quick question to the panel. I tried to ask on a different thread to PYB but he said just stick with bigger.

So question is, Would the MTU V10 2000 M94 (1622hp) be at the upper limits to push, say a Sunseeker 86, or would the MTU V12 2000 M96 (1950) be preferable ? Both quote very similar speeds and i think the 86 was designed with the M94 in mind but i have this nagging feeling the boat with the M94's would be harder to sell.
    I hope i make sense.

They are not the same block as in the higher Hp v has a bigger bolt on turbo and some black box software rewrite .
    So a different Q to say the CAT / MAN 1500 Hp to 18/1900 Hp lift .
    Being modular MTU they just add more cylinders .
    Brokers not the chap who flogged it to the 1 st punter allways plug the higher Hp variant ,
    Just like my Q re the Porto 53 , we never asked or introduced the MAN 800 into the conversation , but the broker spontaneously went into autopilot and gave that ans to a Q of D12 or C12
    Thanks !

My personal theory dispite mocking brokers is sure given a choise if poss go for the larger engine option .
    It’s been discussed here before , but kinda linked to AF and this thread is a term call Real World Speed .RWS
    Fouling and cruising stores bring down RWS .
    Another thing I see / feel reading boat tests is this WOT business ,
    To cut to the chase ,
    Run them within the manufacture s parameters ,so for me that’s 80% load .
    I can see the load .
    So I would assume if MTU are happy with 80% or what ever to set in a cruise. Then the bigger more powerful one will go a few knots faster .
    When you look at the boat test charts some bigger stuff comes alive the other side of 2000 rpm say 2100 or 2200 ,
    If WOTs say 2300 or abit more .eek !
    Luckily I can happily do 1750 rpm all day and basically never go over 2000 .
    But as a used prospect to hammer a big Sunny at 2100 rpm ,hmmm. Not sure .
    I look at how fast @ 1800 rpm ie RWS with the charts in the boat mags .

Links in to having a no abligation sea trail debate .
    Last edited by Portofino; 14-02-18 at 20:15.

Remember the 80% load figure is a bit daft.

Say an engine comes in 1500hp and 1900hp versions. It cannot be logical to say the 1500er can be run all day at max 80% of 1500 = 1200hp, and the 1900er at max 80% x 1900 = 1520hp. Reason being that 80% x 1900 >100% x1500hp, and they are the same engine. It just makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Remember the 80% load figure is a bit daft.

Say an engine comes in 1500hp and 1900hp versions. It cannot be logical to say the 1500er can be run all day at max 80% of 1500 = 1200hp, and the 1900er at max 80% x 1900 = 1520hp. Reason being that 80% x 1900 >100% x1500hp, and they are the same engine. It just makes no sense.
    In replying to MrB s Q in post #67 , they are different engines ones a 22 L v 10 other a 26 L v 12
    I sort of thought in the few lines - I made the distinction of the point you have made a beefing up same block .

So 80% load ( if that’s ok with MTU ? Assunimg ) from the V 12 will be better than 80 % from the V 10 .in the same boat .

“Same engine “ not Mr B,s example - but sure that’s all some builders offers - same foot print tuned up jobbie ,and sometimes the lower variant Hp is superseded anyhow , as time goes by in the arms race Like there’s no going back .

But I said I may be wrong but approaching 2000 Hp in a planing boat I would be looking @ north of 30 odd litres and few more than 12 cylinders to keep it high speed .

As a matter of interest it seems CAT actually use a different block for the C32 cooking 1662hp and the ACC ERT 1900 Hp anyhow .
    The displacement remains the same 32 L

http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/m...t.17818/page-4

Not quite “ googling “ just another forum I suspect you are familiar

I think the essence if poss to longevity is read the small print .
    Eg I never “let rip “ and spool up the turbos until the water temp is over 60 — that’s what the manual says ,
    I think the oil temp is not far behind - thinking warm oil needed to lub the finer spray jets under the piston skirts and proper lub of the turbo bearings + the rings have expanded enough to seal better rarther than dump a handful of throttles fuel into loose rings .— washing what little cold oil has managed to find its way to protect the bores off !

A lot of folks that end blowing them up I reckon “ abuse “ them .Of course a little engine Hp wise in a big heavy boat makes that easier than a bigger engine in a smaller boat .

So that leads us back to MrB,s Q and the in broker speak “ desirable larger engine option “
    Last edited by Portofino; 14-02-18 at 22:40.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast