Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 142

Thread: Antifouling!

  1. #81
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,491

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    SCM antifouling guy says...

    Micron 350 is more than enough for this marina and is very very good one.

    77 and 99 are extremely soft and not recomended in motorboats (and the price for the 99 is..... just unveliable)
    Am I right that 350 is an eroding antifouling too? My preference is soft as I don't want hard build up. Also want something that lasts two years (we're not mega mile munchers).

  2. #82
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,491

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    I must admit I'm totally confused by the range of anti-fouling offered by International. There seems to be four options...

    Micron 66
    Micron 77
    Micron 99
    Micron 350

    ... and I can't even ascertain which are current products and what has replaced what. Anyone know the answer? Anyone know what's good and bad?

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rąpita
    Posts
    6,975

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Micron 66 is definitely not current - it was rubbish.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Live London
    Posts
    3,831

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    So if Micron 66 is not flavour of the month ( or available ?!) - what is the current 2 season favourite?

    Mine was done last August. It was local stuff and after a year it has had it.

    Season almost gone so i will get it done next may, but it is simpler to get it to Mallorca anytime from now on.

    Squadron 58, planning boat, typically do 20 knots ish if it makes a difference of eroding vs not.

    Thank you !

  5. #85
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Jersey/Antibes
    Posts
    22,611

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    I lifted boat in June after a year of m99 and the bottom was perfectly smooth like it had been painted the day before. Awesome and just as good as the awesome m66 and m77. I'm definitely not changing. It remains a two year product in my book.
    Ref post #81, Pete, I totally disagree with your Scm guy. M99 etc are meant to be soft so that they wear off. They do that very well, and do not over-wear. I wish they were a bit softer in fact. And I do plenty of 22knot running.
    I'll post some pics.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,491

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    I lifted boat in June after a year of m99 and the bottom was perfectly smooth like it had been painted the day before. Awesome and just as good as the awesome m66 and m77. I'm definitely not changing. It remains a two year product in my book.

    Ref post #81, Pete, I totally disagree with your Scm guy. M99 etc are meant to be soft so that they wear off. They do that very well, and do not over-wear. I wish they were a bit softer in fact. And I do plenty of 22knot running.
    I'll post some pics.
    Thing is JFM, some websites are saying that Micron 350 replaced Micron 77 so my guy is still recommending a 2-year soft / eroding antifoul!

    https://international-yachtpaint.com...ts/antifouling

    https://international-yachtpaint.com...ing/micron-350
    https://international-yachtpaint.com...ng/micron-350w
    https://international-yachtpaint.com...ling/micron-99

    As I said earlier, I can't see the benefit of 99 over 350.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,491

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    So if Micron 66 is not flavour of the month ( or available ?!) - what is the current 2 season favourite?

    Mine was done last August. It was local stuff and after a year it has had it.

    Season almost gone so i will get it done next may, but it is simpler to get it to Mallorca anytime from now on.

    Squadron 58, planning boat, typically do 20 knots ish if it makes a difference of eroding vs not.

    Thank you !
    J, what was the 'local stuff'?

  8. #88
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Jersey/Antibes
    Posts
    22,611

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Here are some pics. These pics are of june 2018 lift out, 13 months after the 2017 annual lift out where the new M99 was applied for first time (previously m77, now replaced by m99, AIUI), One coat m99 was applied in 2017, and the props/shafts/hilo mech/flap rams were left bare (=my choice)

    These first 6 pics are taken immediately after 2018 lift out, before any pressure washing by the yard. As you can see, bottom is smooth - not an ounce of weed. Metal is barnacled as usual. Boat is in Cote D'Azur btw, and was hardly used over winter 2017-18, literally 6 months stationary.









    Not much I can add to the pictures really. For the obvious high performance reason shown in these pics, I'm concluding that m99 is as good as m77, and I'm sticking with it. If *I'm being very precise, I think the m77 allowed a very thin layer of green algae to grow above the chine (see pic 2 below) where there is a lot of sunlight. M977 did this, but m99 seems to do it slightly more. But this is totally insignificant in my book, and the drag-significant bottom planing surface of the hull is squaky clean as the pics show.
    As I've written on here before I don't rate coppercoat: slime grows and I don't like the green look, and m66/77/99 do an unbeatable job and get my vote (m99 being the onl;y one available, AIUI). M-xx also work on a 2 year basis if you want. All imho

    FWIW I did the props in black velox over primer. I'll report back. Not expecting great results but I thought it was worth a try.
    Last edited by jfm; 21-08-18 at 19:25.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MK
    Posts
    1,824

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Pete

    Having had two boats in SCM including a Targa-34, the best AF I ever used was M77, definitely two seasons. Nothing including Velox and most snake oils worked on the props.

    However, it's not too difficult to beach the legs on a Targa-34, you can then just reach front and back of all four props from the bathing platform. I use to polish them when lifted, then give them a quick scrape every two weeks or so in mid-summer or before a run. Worked really well for us.

    Don't rule out CC though on the hull, having observed several boats (including Hurricanes) in SCM, it did seem to work very well. We're popping over 11-16 Oct to visit some friends in SCM, so may pop over if you're still there!
    PRINCESS 45

  10. #90
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,491

    Default Re: Antifouling!

    Quote Originally Posted by John100156 View Post
    Pete

    Having had two boats in SCM including a Targa-34, the best AF I ever used was M77, definitely two seasons. Nothing including Velox and most snake oils worked on the props.

    However, it's not too difficult to beach the legs on a Targa-34, you can then just reach front and back of all four props from the bathing platform. I use to polish them when lifted, then give them a quick scrape every two weeks or so in mid-summer or before a run. Worked really well for us.

    Don't rule out CC though on the hull, having observed several boats (including Hurricanes) in SCM, it did seem to work very well. We're popping over 11-16 Oct to visit some friends in SCM, so may pop over if you're still there!
    Hi John,

    Sadly, International don't seem to make 77 any more and Asnau recommend 350 which I believe replaces it. Keeping props clean is a bit of a pain (as you say, they can be easily reached from the BP) but we do take advantage of the cheap lifts to get the leg and props done. We'll be back out in SCM in Oct but probably before you. It would be good to meet up as I definitely owe you some beers for your kind help last October.

    Pete

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to